Notices

Beer Thirty

Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beer Thirty

Well this is the time of day I usually grab that first beer and get started on dinner, even tho I suffered from such panic and anxiety this morning, I am still craving that beer. I know this is NO LONGER an option for me...any advice on coping with triggers?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pray it away... Call sponsor, Anyone in AA
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What caused the panic this morning? What are u possibly not accepting and turning over to God? I'm still clinging to "thoughts" that are lies. Praying for more faith helps, knowing this too shall pass. Praying for u now, Brian
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink iced water! Have a few snacks around. These things get easier quickly , but you've got to watch they don't sneak past you.
Good luck John.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Some things that I found helpful for beating cravings:

Realize that "this too shall pass" (cravings don't last forever)
Expect that you'll have cravings - they're "normal" - but you don't have to act on them
Eat something - alcohol causes a huge rise in blood sugar, so when our blood sugar drops, it feels like a craving
Distract yourself (watch the news, turn on music, whatever)
Come here and read

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Dee has a link to "Urge Surfing" which is really helpful, too.
Hang in there!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Can you get some Professional
help with detox?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just see it as the addiction craving its drug. It really is nothing else. Grind through the thoughts , see it for what it is a toxic poison. You are giving up nothing.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I just saw your other post and realized you're on day 1, so I wanted to add some encouragement..... The first day or two aren't easy, but just take it an hour at a time if you have to (or a minute at a time, whatever seems manageable). I lived on this forum during the first days/weeks and it really helped. I let a lot of stuff go, too (housecleaning, etc.). Keep the stress level as low as possible (hard to do with kids, I know). Be good to yourself.

Random thoughts, but they all helped me during those first days....
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whenever my brother decides to try and stay sober he will make plans. Lots of plans. Meeting with friends, help me with things around the house if anything needs to be fixed and keep himself busy as much as possible. He tells in advance that he will probably be horrible company.. But we don't really mind

And as artsoul has already mentioned, your body also craves the sugar. My brother couldn't handle craving sugar and alcohol at the same time, yet he cant eat candy due to his medication (makes him gain weight very easily). So he eats strawberries and grapes whenever he stops drinking.

I don't know if this kind of advice is allowed in here or not.. Just delete it then if it isn't.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Initially the things I used were things like 'thinking the drink through' and distraction. I read a ton of magazines and went on loads of walks and cooked elaborate dinners. All stuff I wouldn't normally have done. Doing small things to break the routine really seemed to help. I'd recommend reading the book Living Sober as that has some good tips in it. Longer term though it would help to go to some meetings or read up on some recovery methods. I think this is the sort of stuff that needs practice as well as commitment and in that sense it is okay to have rocky patches. Ride it out and it will get better x
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I just saw your other post and realized you're on day 1, so I wanted to add some encouragement..... The first day or two aren't easy, but just take it an hour at a time if you have to (or a minute at a time, whatever seems manageable). I lived on this forum during the first days/weeks and it really helped. I let a lot of stuff go, too (housecleaning, etc.). Keep the stress level as low as possible (hard to do with kids, I know). Be good to yourself.

Random thoughts, but they all helped me during those first days....
Excellent!!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots and lots of Pepsi.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Can you get some Professional
help with detox?
I have tried this previously and found it was not really for me, I really did not like any of the leaders/directors...it also seemes that everyone there was there because they were forced because of DUI's and what not, not because they felt they actually had a problem
I think this page is going to be, HUGE somewhere I will spend a lot of my time, the encouragment I have already recieved has been tremendous, also reading through other threads makes me realize I am not alone in this.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Get a pen and paper and write down all the stupid things you did while drinking that made you want to quit in the first place. That should make the craving go away.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First 3 days for me I was alone, did loads and loads of reading on SR (all inspirational stuff both good and bad and realising your are not ALONE helps), watched TV, downloaded movies etc. Taking it all an hour at a time, small pieces that I could manage. Everybody finds their own way to manage......if its drinking pepsi (so be it), if its just lying on the couch watching serials / movies (so be it), if its going to the gym (so be it), if its cleaning out the garage it does not matter what gets you through so long as you stay away from alcohol.

So keep going, dig deep. Everyday hour you don't drink is a step in the right direction.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day two, so far so good! Been keeping really busy, managed to get a lot of school work in, about 6 loads of laundry, and am currently cleaning out my daughters closet! As the afternoon/evening approaches I can feel that nagging tug, the nieghbor even called and asked if I was up for a drink later
I oredered myself a few of the books I have seen mentioned throughout various threads, they can't get here soon enough. I am hopeful if I keep the focus on my children, along with frequent visits here I WILL make it through night two...baby steps, one day at a time...Thank You ALL for the awesome ideas and words of encouragment...What a TREMENDOUS help you have all been
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by gettinglifeback View Post
I have tried this previously and found it was not really for me, I really did not like any of the leaders/directors...it also seemes that everyone there was there because they were forced because of DUI's and what not, not because they felt they actually had a problem
I think this page is going to be, HUGE somewhere I will spend a lot of my time, the encouragment I have already recieved has been tremendous, also reading through other threads makes me realize I am not alone in this.
Hope all is well and you're on day 2. I was referring to a quick medically supervised care for withdrawal if your symptoms felt like they were getting out of hand. Anyway hope you got some sleep and day 2 is better... Stick around this is a great place to hang out and dry out with people who get it .
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Hope all is well and you're on day 2. I was referring to a quick medically supervised care for withdrawal if your symptoms felt like they were getting out of hand. Anyway hope you got some sleep and day 2 is better... Stick around this is a great place to hang out and dry out with people who get it .
Think I will stick arournd! Day 3 and still standing strong...worst time of the day is soon approaching, however I am feeling quite confident
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on day 3!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A spoon-full or 2 of honey and a quick nap usualy works for me, even after 2 years, hungry and tierd, from 'HALT', dont get hungry, angry, lonely or too tired.

Funny thing too, a jar of honey last about a year around here, a 12 pack didnt last a night.

Hang in there...