Notices

withdrawal or something else?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal or something else?

hi I haven't had anything to drink in 2 days. I am sick of the hangovers. Guilt..shame and just feeling stupid! I am super tired even 2 days later and have these head twitches that are something new. Does anyone else have this? I know about heart palpitations, being cold etc. due to hangovers. But, this nervousness has me concerned.

Reading here on SR has given me so much hope that i can beat this thing!

I didn't drink for over a year, but i had a big move and lots of other changes in my life. At first I would only have one or two beers or 1/2 a bottle of wine. But, it slowly got to be more. I feel bored and lonley alot of the time. I think this is the trigger for me.

We live in a remote area now and I have 2 friends here..compared to so many in the other town.

I will adjust eventually, but i can't keep using alcohol as my crutch.

Thanks for all of your post ..it helps

God Bless!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Withdrawals can be quite different with each person and can last for quite some time. Your best bet is to visit your doctor if you feel something is wrong physically. Subsequent detoxes symtpoms can be worse than the last too. Stay safe and please get some medical attention if you feel you need it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, withdrawals can be unpredictable, so it's always a good idea to talk to your dr.

Do you have a plan for staying sober? If boredom is the main problem, will you be able to do something about that?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also 2 days in Woohoo and i'm having those exact symptoms - leg and head twitching, serious anxiety and shortness of breath. I'm gonna see if it continues and maybe go see a doctor tomorrow but I hopefully it will just pass.

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, If this doesn't get better on it's on by tomorrow. I will go see a doctor. Yes baked today..muffins..brownies..spring cleaning. I am going shopping tomorrow..but do not plan on buying any booze. I am going to buy fruit juice..gingerale..and tea..that way i have plenty of options. My husband drinks beers after work..it is hard. But i plan on doing something else..maybe playing a game on my pc while he chugs them. We were both sober for a year. I told him last week...I didn't want to go back to feeling bad about myself. His answer was so stop then. I know he is responsible for his own sobriety. Not me..so I have to control myself and my cravings.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That you didn't drink for over a year shows you can do it. I also moved about 8 months ago, and my drinking went up a lot with the new circumstance. Gotta find ways to avoid the triggers.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was anxious for about a week after I quit...it did lessen with everyday. Good idea to see the doc tomorrow if you aren't feeling better.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your great advice..it has helped God Bless!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't have a lot of withdrawal symptoms but I had some eye and cheek twitches on and off. I think the eye twitches actually started a week or two before I quit but they continued solidly during my Week 1 and then again during my restart of a Week 1 (if you get my drift).

I think boredom is often in the mind and we have to proactively look for things to do and adjust our perspective. Even routine productive things are good if you take the time to reflect on how those things make your life better than before. With all the dopamine resetting that goes on, which I've read about on this site, I can see how it might take a lot of stimulus to make something seem better than boring. That said, I think that some boredom just has to be tolerated but we should still keep looking for new things to replace the time that used to be frittered away tending to the addiction.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started getting all over muscle twitches and it turns out to be anxiety, at least for me. They are so annoying and were worse when I was in bed, you know...relaxed. The mind can do some interesting things. Hang in there!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks harvestqueen, I appreciate your comments. I know the twitching will get better and I didn't know that about dopamine having to reset. Boredom is something I can do something about , you are right. I spent quite a bit of time outside today with my dogs and watching humingbirds light on the feeder. Looking at clouds and nature around. I do scrapbooking. I plan on starting that up again. I used to enjoy drawing and painting. I have to find joy in those things again and not an addiction. I know each day will get easier.

Melly, I think it is anxiety too. My body and mind just have to adjust now. I am trying not to have that stinking thinking and tell myself when it starts that i chose my health and life over any booze. I will hang in thanks!