I need help!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help!

I'm new to this thing but I'm stuck in a situation and I don't know what to do. Addiction is a plague on my family, I used to drink and was an alcoholic. I've only been sober for eight and a half months or so and in my own recovery I've come to a point where I really want a relationship with my family. During my drinking I stopped going to family events and when I got sober I stopped talking to my mother. She was taking pills and losing her mind. For some reason I started talking to my mom again, she told me she was off the pills. When I saw her on Mother's Day I realized she hadn't quit. She was worsened. I talked to my sister who while going through drug and alcohol treatment had kept a relationship with my mom. My sister told me that she was using meth now in addition to the pills. I want so bad to help my mom, but I don't know how. To be honest I don't know if I can. When I was on the booze it took a miracle to get me off of it. My mom has been on pills for about 15 years and now with the meth use I don't think it's going to be long before her body dies or her mind is gone for ever. Without talking to her she found out I knew about her meth use and sent me a text saying how she is a 52 year old woman and will do what she wants. I just wanted my mom in my life, is it too late? Should I just leave her to her mess. Her family doesn't know and thinks because of her money she's fine. I live in olympia Washington, where do I get help for myself?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello RadRay,

Please find an AlAnon or NarAnon meeting right away.
These meetings are for the families of those addicted.

You cannot do anything to make your mother stop her addictions.
Since you are in recovery your brain might know this,
but the heart is harder to convince.

What was the miracle that got you off booze?
(if I may ask)

It is true that she is old enough to make her own decisions.
Just as you had to find your own way out, so does your mom.

You could set boundaries with her.
"Mom, I cannot visit you or talk to you when you are under the influence."

Meth is so tough though,
there are more experienced posters that will be here.,
The weekends are usually a little slower than weekdays.

I am so sorry for your pain.

Great work on being sober 8 and 1/2 months!!

Beth

(A mother in recovery, with addicted children, and also ACoA)

There is a way out for you.
I am sorry you had to find us, but so glad you did.
This is the best place for experience, strength and hope.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My miracle was that I prayed. Well I kind of called God out about my life and some of the things that happened and God answered. It was a very profound experience and saved me from my alcoholism. I tried setting boundaries with her before but it didn't work. Non of the naranon places are open today but first thing Monday I'm finding the nearest meeting and getting down there. I think it's a big part of my recovery to focus on myself rather than her.

Thanks for the I rock on my sobriety.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yeah. What Beth said.

Originally Posted by wicked View Post

Great work on being sober 8 and 1/2 months!!

Beth
Super.

You will probably notice that we are a WHOLE lot more about working on and supporting You/Us/Ourselves than any particular A, or A, or A.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by RadRay View Post
My miracle was that I prayed. Well I kind of called God out about my life and some of the things that happened and God answered. It was a very profound experience and saved me from my alcoholism.
Yep. THAT is the way God rolls, aint it?

I tried setting boundaries with her before but it didn't work. Non of the naranon places are open today but first thing Monday I'm finding the nearest meeting and getting down there. I think it's a big part of my recovery to focus on myself rather than her.
Keep in mind that Alanon does fine too, and I have not found a dime's difference.