Notices

No Life....lol

Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Life....lol

Hi all,

I am sooo bored. Don't know what to do with myself. Drinking was my past time. What I did. I used to love playing my guitar, playing golf and cook outs, but just don't find them interesting anymore. Especially with out beer. Have gone back to the gym, but that only last an hour or so.

So, the question is......... What are some things I can do? What are some of the things you do to past the time?

Anything helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking was my pastime too, but I've adjusted to living without it. I now do anything I want to do, without fear of any consequences, and can do everything better than I did when I was drinking.

Do you have any hobbies? Or maybe take up a new hobby, something to fill your time.

Anything but drinking.

Stay strong.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

HI tuco,
Your post speaks to me -- at 5 months I still haven't figured out what to do for "fun" now that I'm not drinking, not that drinking was any fun for the last couple of years, but it did fill the time.

I keep pretty busy working and with AA. But on the rare afternoons when I'm totally free, I don't really know how to pass the time -- yet.

The most positive thing I can say is that I'm SLOWLY developing some human relationships that aren't based on drinking. I trust those will open some doors I can't even imagine right now. If you're in AA, I suggest you get involved in service as much as you can, and if not, maybe consider some volunteer work. For me, it's important to get out of myself.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi tuco

I'm really struggling myself a bit just now, everything seems so boring without beer for now, hopefully that's just a phase and will eventually pass.

There's a few things that can occupy me.

I find Mindfulness to be a great help. It takes loads of practice and i'm not quite there yet. It's certainly not something you can practice when drunk or hungover. Your mind has to be clear. check youtube for Mindfulness videos.

other than that, obvious ones, watching box sets of TV series's, internet, walking, exercising (which You're already doing.), cleaning can be therapeutic, herbal tea, music.

Sorry I can't think of anything else just now, but if i do i will add more. hopefully others can give us some ideas.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Movies, books, music, cleaning, walking, hiking, coffees, teas, gardening, sports (tv or local), SoberRecovery.com, write what you're grateful for, help someone, go to a lake, write, draw, take photos, blog, old tv shows on DVD, meditate, build something. You can try every one f these activities and more to decide what you else you can find interest in. It'll pass a lot if timing just trying them. Then when you fid what you like, you won't be able to find enough time to enjoy them!! I know it's hard but it gets better, and we can create our own happiness. I tell myself OFTEN that people have built more happiness from a lot worse off than me.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's SR's sticky "Looking for something to do" thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Also, how about a volunteer gig? Here's the link to the Amarillo craigslist "Volunteers wanted" page.

amarillo volunteers classifieds - craigslist

The "Help a senior citizen" listing sounds exactly like what I just started doing last month. Productive use of your time that helps someone else and makes you feel good about yourself -- win/win!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuco70 View Post

What are some things I can do? What are some of the things you do to past the time?
I enjoy bicycle riding

do you have a bike ?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love plants! Get some plants, or a pet.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I am sooo bored. Don't know what to do with myself. Drinking was my past time. What I did. I used to love playing my guitar, playing golf and cook outs, but just don't find them interesting anymore. Especially with out beer. Have gone back to the gym, but that only last an hour or so.

So, the question is......... What are some things I can do? What are some of the things you do to past the time?

Anything helps.
Hi, I also live in Amarillo. I'm 29 and been sober almost 3 years. I am also very bored. How old are you?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Hi all,

Anything helps.
I am on 2 years of sobriety and I am running into this problem too. I am SO bored with everyone and everything, which is as much my fault as anything. I need to become more proactive in seeking out new adventures and activities, but fear and self doubt..........and a busy work schedule get the best of me. I suspect you may be in the same boat? What is something that interested you that you never have done? I picked up vaping as an alternative to smoking, which is a fun hobby and doesn't cause cancer (you still get nicotine). Its entertaining and fun, plus there is a giant forum for it too. Are you into computers? Games? Cars? It can be so hard to make new social circles as an adult. When we are kids, we have school and friends can come easy. As an adult, not so much. I feel your pain buddy!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
I love plants! Get some plants, or a pet.

Oh yeah a pet can really help with the loneliness and boredom, but never get one if you don't think you are completely ready for the responsibility of taking care of one. It would be horrible to get one, go back to using, and end up neglecting it.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I found that the first few weeks were the most difficult. I just needed to let my body rest, physically and mentally.

After that I slowly, began getting more energy. I made a point of doing at least a little bit of exercise each day. And after a few months I found that laying on the sofa drove me nuts and I was bouncing off the walls.

Since I've gotten sober I run 4-5 times a week, generally do a ton of cooking, enjoying working on my yard from time to time, organized a local badminton club, started a blog that I write in most days and volunteered for a political party.

Basically what I'm saying is, be patient and as your energy starts to come back, new or old hobbies start emerge on their own.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel the same way,though I can say forcing myself to do things has slightly helped.I don't think it is so much finding something it's learning how to enjoy these hobbies again.That is part of the process from what I have gathered.I use to love fishing,now it just doesn't sound fun without a beer.Im hoping making myself do things and putting myself in situations I use to enjoy will bring it all back for me.Hang in there tocu!