Notices

How to move forward

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to move forward

My husband is in recovery for the first time. Although I am 100% supportive of his decision, I am not sure how to handle social situations with our friends. Should I cancel our family vacation in July? Two other couples and their families are traveling with us as well. Historically the vacations have including consumption of alcohol. I can't ask others not to indulge, do you have any suggestions?
I would appreciate any tips to support him when he gets home.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

It's up to him really. He may feel able to handle it or he may choose to not be around drinking at all. To some it actually gives them strength and confidence, to others it can start a chain reaction of stinkin' thinkin' about drinkin'.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Banks! Welcome to SR! That's great that your husband has decided to go through recovery and he's very fortunate to have such wonderful support from you!

My opinion is that in the early stages of his recovery, it's best to help him in making situations easier to stay sober both socially and at home. So having "triggers" around probably won't help. How does he feel about the vacation with others drinking? Have you thought about planning a different type of vacation that is alcohol free?

Good luck Banks!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If this is his first time in recovery I'd imagine he is as much in the dark as you are. Talk it out with him about what he feels comfortable doing. If you are willing to cancel the holiday then that would be a lovely gesture of your support and if he is willing to go just be aware of how difficult it will be. I don't think an avoidance of possible 'triggers' is necessary, but neither do I think it's wise to throw yourself into situations just because you can't avoid them forever. I went to a lot of social events early on and didn't want to avoid things but I have found that I naturally wanted to develop an alternative social life that didn't orient around people drinking. There are a load of things you can do sober so maybe doing things like that together would be a good start x
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, banks, and welcome! Glad you found SR. Can I recommend this portion of the forum to you? Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You will definitely find folks there who can relate to your situation and can help you think things through.

Hope you find as much help here as I have, and again, welcome.