Notices

How did you reward yourself for sobriety milestones?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you reward yourself for sobriety milestones?

I'm coming up on 100 days sober tomorrow. Looking for ideas to treat myself on this milestone. What did you do?

I had a stupid idea last week to have 1 beer on my 100th day ...but after thinking about it for 5 days, I've realized it is a completely, utterly stupid, perhaps career ending idea. 1 beer has always led to a multi-week bender in the past. Why would this time be any different?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could treat yourself to a massage!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A nice dinner with a sober friend is always good for me.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No beer!!!!!!!!
And I'm planning a tattoo for my year mark. 11 months away lol
Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got myself some special ice cream. And for milestones during the summer, I took the dogs out for a little doggie ice cream cone.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 May 2013

I'd like to put a little money away every day until (hopefully) I hit the magic 365. Then I'll take all the money and blow it on something fun. I love gadgets and computer related things, so I'll start thinking about this until I come up with the perfect anniversary present to me...

Only 358 days to go
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I am one year sober, I am going to have the bags under my eyes removed. I should have saved up enough money by then. I will look as good as I feel :-)

Genie
Old 05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genie View Post
When I am one year sober, I am going to have the bags under my eyes removed. I should have saved up enough money by then. I will look as good as I feel :-)

Genie
They can do that?? Interesting....
Old 05-18-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I believe that the mindset that says that sobriety is something that needs to be compensated for, something that needs some external reward for its maintenance, is not a sustainable one. Not for me, anyway. If being sober were some hardship, I would be back inside that bottle of Smirnoff in a flash.

I've come to understand that each sober day is a reward in its own right. I have done my time, and now I am free.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
They can)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
Everysinglenight - the surgery is call blepharoplasty. Google it. I am not sure what it costs - I think it may be around $5,000. I figure I'd drink that much in a year.

I can deal with the gigantic butt and thunder thighs with the right type of clothing, but, short of wearing a mask, it's hard to hide the face. I just look so tired and haggard.

It's on my wishlist anyway - something to keep me motivated.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I believe that the mindset that says that sobriety is something that needs to be compensated for, something that needs some external reward for its maintenance, is not a sustainable one. Not for me, anyway. If being sober were some hardship, I would be back inside that bottle of Smirnoff in a flash.

I've come to understand that each sober day is a reward in its own right. I have done my time, and now I am free.
I recently heard this at a meeting about surrender. "Surrender is not the beginning of defeat, it is the end of the war." I celebrate every day the same way, by not drinking.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I bought myself a ring. It's a pearl and for me represents my journey- turning something hard (grit) into something smooth and beautiful (pearl)
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by animalnurse9 View Post
No beer!!!!!!!!
And I'm planning a tattoo for my year mark. 11 months away lol

Me too! It's going to say "Ata boy girl!" Which is something my grandfather always says to me. It's going to be in his handwriting. He doesn't know I'm going to get it tattooed. :P
Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post

I like that. I am very glad to be sober everyday. And I do a little celebration in my head every morning I've made it through the day before sober.

However, I'm the kind of person that needs a little extra incentive every once in a while. This sobriety thing has been quite the roller coaster for me.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a firearms enthusiast. Every three months or so I take the saved money and buy a new gun. I have quite a collection and I can always get my money back out of them.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovered

For my one year, I got a recovery ring and my nose pierced. My sober peeps took me to the piercing studio and then out to dinner. Fabulous!

After that, each year has been dinner with my sober friends (and there are gifts!!) It's almost like having two birthdays a year....
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LDT

Lots of ice cream, a massage, and a pedicure!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't wrap my mind around rewarding myself for doing the right thing. It seems utterly backwards to me.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovered

It is not a reward. It is really other people celebrating that I am no longer a drunk *******. I just happen to be the recipient of said good tidings. I don't usually do anything for myself, but just go along for the ride. Sobriety in and of itself is enough for me....oh, but if you insist, I'll let you buy me dinner and a movie!