Notices

Time to change

Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to change

After a night of very stupid decision making I have made the choice to quit drinking for good. I have been drinking since I was 14. Mainly I drink beer and wine. I drink roughly 3-4 days a week. 4-6 beers, or a bottle of wine, sometimes more. I am now 35, so ya, it is time for a change. I have joined this forum seeking support and understanding.

My main motivation to quit drinking is that I have a great life and I don't want to mess it up. When I drink I often do dumb things that are out of character for me. I got drunk the other night and decided to drive to the beach at midnight.(the beach is 2 hours away from where I live) I got lost, went swimming alone in the ocean at night, picked up a stranger in a bar,(I have been very happily married for 12 years) all this while wasted drunk. The next day I realized what the consequences of my choices could have been.

I could have drowned, been killed by a stranger, crashed my car
I could have killed someone else driving drunk
I could have lost me license and vehicle
I could have lost my business (I am a small business owner that has many family members dependent on me for their lively hood.)
I could have lost my relationship

I can never let something like this happen again. I feel so guilty I got away with just a horrible hangover. I don't act this dumb every time I drink but as long as I allow myself to drink at all I am running the risk of ruining my life, so I am done with it. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Great decision to quit, Winters. This is a good site for exploring different options.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Winters - yeah those could haves are pretty scary.
glad you're making a change

D
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Winters Good decision to quit. The lack of judgment when drinking only gets worse. I can't believe some of the things I did while under the influence. No judgment period. Bad things always happen to me when I drink.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and great decision!

I'm glad you escaped all those consequences this time, but I'm sure you know your good luck is likely to run out. I'm really glad you decided to stop drinking.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Post post post and you will find plenty of support here
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Winters! I know you'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for. Glad to have you join us.

The things you mentioned are all frightening, aren't they? I did out of character things at the end of my drinking career. It got to the point where every time I took a drink dangerous & unpredictable things happened. I shudder to think of some of the places I went and people I befriended. When I finally stopped it was wonderful to be free of it. It had once been fun, but in the end it was costing me everything. There is life after alcohol. You can do this, Winters.