Notices

A couple bottles of wine and a pack of cigs

Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A couple bottles of wine and a pack of cigs

God that sounds sooooo good right now.

Cravings suck, I get angry knowing I'm not getting to have those things. I know really I wouldn't be getting anything other than regret and a headache.

Pushing through, but day 3 is being pretty hard on the cravings.

How are all of you doing?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on ya for resisting!

I hate that, though -- that feeling that you can't win because even if you do the right thing, you're gonna be pissed at not getting what you really want.

I bet your cravings will pass, though. Can you treat yourself to something other than alcohol? Can you distract yourself with something? Plan to go to a meeting later?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks mesosober

Yeah, going to go get some food in a minute, then have a bunch of things planned for the evening to stay busy.

What's the phrase? "Idle hands are the devil's playthings."
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exactly.

It sounds like you're working it -- doing exactly what you need to do. Good job!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The psychological aspect of quitting is sometimes harder than the physical symptoms. We have all had the flu or not felt good, but the psychological thoughts of "if you just take blah blah this will all end" or "you deserve to have fun" etc. etc. makes it SO much harder.

Cravings last shorter if you don't give them power. For example, when you get a craving for wine it will last shorter if you just tell yourself it is not an option, it won't fix anything, it never is enough etc. instead of when you have a craving picturing how nice it would be to have a glass, wishing you had one, entertaining the thought of maybe having one, picturing yourself having one etc. It is almost like you can play a mind game back at the mind games your cravings are playing with you. lol

I also found that not feeling sorry for myself helps. The more positive of an outlook I am the easier it is to make it through a day with lots of cravings. You know that you are doing the right thing and that this is the only way to be truly happy in the end so it doesn't hurt to try to look at the bright side.

Keep moving forward! You can do this!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally am having these cravings too!!!! Friday and its sunny and warm and oh my a drink sounds just delightful. I don't know what to do to resist
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I often decided to put my quest for sobriety on hold due to an upcoming weekend. I thought I would regret missing out on the good parts of drinking. When I made it through my first weekend, I was so proud of myself and realized I did not regret not drinking. I also realized I would have had more regret if I had drank. And I've never regretted being sober since.
Do whatever you have to do not to drink. Walk, run, fly (kidding), chocolate, iced cream, put on music and read every thread on here to pass the time.
Play the tape through from that first drink to all the embarrassing things you could do, all the anxiety and nausea the next day. Our willpower is completely shattered by that first drink so don't take that first drink!!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in their Woozy & Doogie, You can both do it. I had really bad cravings earlier on but they have faded for now at least.

MeSoSober, Maylie & OneLessLonely have given some really great advice here. *thumbs up*
Old 05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys really do get it, thanks for the replies and input.

Some of your posts could have been ripped right out from my own head. Specifically "If I could just have it all this will end!" I actually feel physically great at this point, it all mental now... and yeah, this has always been the hardest part.

Been on that merry go round enough times to know better.

It's hard too because I had to cancel going to a concert with friends tomorrow. We were supposed to do ecstasy, which though I was never addicted too, is very tempting. I would have drank and smoked along with the e so it would of been doubly bad.

Eating helped, now going to do somes chores, then play videogames, get some good sleep, and onto enjoying a sober tomorrow.

Hope you all are managing well!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Woosy.

Early days are tough. I was about to climb the walls back then.

But it is getting better. Take it from us. Someone here told me in early sobriety "Borrow my hope while you are developing yours". So you can borrow lots of my hope - it will get better. Just hold on, have a plan to keep yourself busy.

Life is good. Sober life is super good.

Best luck to you.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"A couple bottles of wine and a pack of cigs"

sounds like my shopping list for past 7 years!
(thankfully not now)

just the cigs now hopefully they be gone too, soon
I spent those years in the wine aisle. Don't even think of going to that aisle now.
(still get some cravings, but not when shopping for food)

best wishes Woozy, and all
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think through to the next morning....

the headache, the light too bright for your eyes, the disgusting, dry mouth, the coughing (every one of which makes your head pound)...the uneasy feeling that *something* happened last night but you can't quite remember what...

avoid all that. Wake up sober

D
Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My problem is I am sorta smart when I drink and I consume massive amounts of water so for 10+ years I would only get a "hangover" if I had more than 2.5 bottles of wine and almost never on good Champagne... my problem has always been lethargy and anger issues afterwards........ and later bad stomach pains etc
Old 05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well getting through this day. As others have said, find something to distract yourself. I hope that you feel better tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing well Woozy :-) xx
Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you will feel soooooo much better in the morning and happy with yourself AND it will be easier to beat the cravings next time.