Notices

What do I tell my employer????

Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What do I tell my employer????

Addicted to opiates. Planning on going to rehab tomorrow, 05-17-2013. I am a chemical engineer who has a great job but I do not trust my boss or company at all. I am scared and undecided on what to tell my employer about me fixing to take off 2-3 weeks for in-patient treatment. Right now I am thinking of applying for Family Medical Leave since then I do not need to explain the reason why to my employer. I am pretty scared and anxious today to say the least. I have made an appointment to show up at the rehab in Houston tomorrow at 10:00 AM. I'm on vacation this week and my boss is going to freak out when he hears I am not showing up for work on Monday. Any advice on what and how much you would tell an employer in my situation? The good news is I am going to the #2 best rated rehab in the country.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

FMLA would probably be the best route if you don't want to disclose why you'll be gone.

Best of luck and congratulations on the decision, get well and try to learn as much as you can about what to do AFTER you get out to stay clean.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Time Lord

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
FMLA would probably be the best route if you don't want to disclose why you'll be gone.

Best of luck and congratulations on the decision, get well and try to learn as much as you can about what to do AFTER you get out to stay clean.
I agree with Scott here. Seems like your best bet. Good luck with your recovery!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talk to HR about fmla... It's all confidential
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone. Talk with HR, and see what can be done.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I talked to my EAP and will do just what everyone has suggested. I will talk to my HR Department in the morning about doing a FMLA. I check into rehab at 10:00 AM this morning. That is in about 7-hours from now. Can't sleep. I think I am a little nervous. No, I am a lot nervous. Ha!

I will follow up with a post when I can and let everyone know how I made out.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Dusty
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dusty - I think you've made a great decision

D
Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Dusty - I think you've made a great decision
I agree!

Also, remember due to HIPAA Laws your employer is not legally allowed access to any medical information unless you allow it.

In fact your medical information should not be revealed to anyone (spouse included) unless you give written or verbal permission for that information to be disclosed.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Pretty much what everyone else said... do FMLA. Your company can't legally ask questions. I would never tell my employer that I'm an alcoholic. I think they would look at me different. If I call in sick, well is she really sick? Or is she hungover? I just wouldn't feel comfortable giving them that much information.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I told my boss this week about being in IOP. I didn't want to be involved in any extracurricular activites that involved alcohol. My boss surprised me by admitting that her mother was an alcoholic. Her brother also died from alcoholism. I had no idea. She also has backed me up 100% and will make any arrangements for me to get the treatment that I need. I am not taking weeks off with outpatient but she said that if it came down to that, it could be managable. Your boss may surprise you. It's a tough situation but it's better to do it now then allow things to get out of hand.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I googled and found this article. It was the most informative one I could find. I hope it's helpful to you. TY

http://employment-law.freeadvice.com...alcoholism.htm