Notices

Bad day

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad day

Does any of you who quit ever feel lonely and bored??

It's my day 17 and I have been doing good..until now...
I really want to go and meet my friends who drink and have a few just to catch up...
I won't. I know better. But today just sucks
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes I have felt that way but like you said, it will pass! As time goes on I wonder how I ever had time for drinking because my days are now filled doing sober things. Congrats on 17 days & hang in there. Tomorrow , even if not much better, will be different
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes...Think we all feel lonely sometimes. During times I used to go to the bar, instead now I read and that seems to help.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today may suck but tomorrow will feel better because you didn't pick up and drink. I understand feeling lonely. I have thought the very same thing about going to the bar. The reality is that they are still the same people, talking about the same things, drinking the same amount...nothing changes. But you are changing. Do you really want to not be lonely and hang out with a bunch of barflies? That is what the people in the bar I hung out at were...barflies...they were always there. Not much of a life if you ask me. I'm interested in developing real relationships with real people.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 15 for me. Yes, I feel lonely. I'm stuck at my house and can not drive... Probably a good thing all my friends live 2.5 hrs away, the friends I have left. My sister in law is nearby but only wants to hang out when she needs a babysitter I'm tired of life. Waiting for my husband to get up, we are suppose to go fishing today but he has a way of changing his mind.
I have to get out of this house, I'm going crazy!!! I want to get a bike but he said that it is too dangerous, jeesh!!! If I was not so clumsy maybe he would not worry so much. I love to ride, and it is great exercise.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have definitely felt lonely, bored, and/or left out at times. It was bothersome particulatly because I was so used to relieving any negative feelings and situations with drinking. Now I realize I don't have to "do something" about feeling negatively. Its ok to feel crappy. I now dont fight it or get upset that I feel it. I embrace it and know I won't always feel that way and it usually passes. Keep pushing through the discomfort.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Sassu, I had a lot of lonely and bored days early on---still do. When you stop drinking it isn't only the alcohol you leave behind but your very way of life, or at least it was like that for me. I got some advice here early in my recovery that basically said to focus on not drinking and building a support network as much as possible for the first month or two. To not try to tackle rebuilding Rome in a day, as it were What I found is that in getting more and more comfortable in my sobriety, when I finally was able to start tackling starting a new life, I was nowhere near as shaky as I would have been if I had tried early on. Or, a heck of a lot less likely to drink.

So, sounds strange but please be selfish right now. Give yourself plenty of time to rest, read uplifting or entertaining books, watch good movies, eat food that satisfies you...etc. And, as Quit says above, once you do start making your way in your new, sober, life, you're likely going to be pretty busy.

You'll be just fine. And it's good that you know that you'll be even more fine if you don't pick up a drink. We're here for you!!

((Big hug))
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're not alone! We're all here for you. tomorrow you will so thankful you didn't pick up that drink.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks you so much everybody! You are amazing

I will eat some cup cakes, hit the gym (need to keep it in balance ) and come home to watch some dvds.

I wish you all lived around here so that I could take you out for a dinner
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being lonely and bored isn't great, but being lonely, bored, and hungover is worse.

I speak from experience.

Boredom seems inevitable in early recovery. Boredom and feelings of loneliness are simply more tools our addiction uses to get us to use again.

I know how it feels, stay strong. 17 days is amazing!

You have my support sassu!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Come join us in the April thread (it's for people that quit in April).

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

I go there and catch up with my new sober friends here when I feel that way.

Way to go on 17 days..
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
Does any of you who quit ever feel lonely and bored??
Quite often. I'm the kind of person who can be lonely and bored in a crowd. Even with a bunch of friends. I'm trying to accept that it's part of who I am and deal with it as I would any other problem. I can only make progress sober.

Hang in there.