Notices

Yesterday changed my life! Please come read!!! GET HELP!!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Yesterday changed my life! Please come read!!! GET HELP!!

Soberrecovery.com friends....greetings!!!! I first posted here 8 months ago in this thread (i haven't posted enough so they won't let me post the link to my original post back in September)

In that thread I created.....I was drunk, having a pity party and feeling sorry for myself, and though I talked a good game, and probably meant well, I did nothing about my problem. I have continued to drink heavily, nearly a pint every other night, for the last 8 months.

Finally, my wife got to the point where she was serious about leaving, calling friends to ask if she could stay with them and packing her things. I vowed to go to counseling/therapy, and I did.

Here I am, 3 weeks later, after seeing a psychiatrist. I told him everything. All the lies I've told over the years, all the ******** I told my wife so she'd leave me alone while I would sneak upstairs and chug a pint in 30 seconds, all the lies I told myself like "I made it through a week of work, its Friday, I deserve a drink."

For the first time after 6 years of being a functioning alcoholic, I'm finally getting help. I am currently on a medium dose of citolopram for depression, and Naltrexone for the alcohol cravings. I am only 20 days into my medication, and I can't begin to describe the freedom I feel. I am not craving alcohol at all, which is the first time I've been able to say that for 5-6 years.

I am so happy, my wife and I are doing much better, and most importantly, I feel like I have control of my life for the first time in ages. I cried tears of joy for days after the meds kicked in, feeling myself again.

PLEASE...if you're a member or a guest reading this, get help. feel free to PM me if you need to, I would love to talk to anybody through e-mail or even give a phone call if you need somebody to talk to. I've been a slave to the bottle for so long, and now that I'm finally liberated, i want to spread the love and support!!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to the road to Recovery!!!

Here is the thread you were talking about:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...new-forum.html

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care!

Love and hugs,
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sure does feel nice when we are free from alcohol. Then we can begin to work on our underlying issues. Congrats on your sober time!!! Keep on keeping on.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

MTM82 - I came to the exact same realization when my outpatient treatment program insisted that I see a psychologist who referred me to a psychiatrist. There was nothing scary about the process, contrary to what I had built up in my mind as an excuse for not getting help in the past.

I sincerely believe that the majority of us are self medicating underlying anxiety/depression with alcohol and other drugs. Remove the anxiety/depression, and the compulsion to use is lifted. Congratulations!

FYI - when you come off of the citalopram, make sure you wean off under doctor supervision. The withdrawals can be nasty. All I will say is "brain zaps." Check it out.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're doing better MTM

D
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTM82 View Post

I am so happy, my wife and I are doing much better, and most importantly, I feel like I have control of my life for the first time in ages.
best news that I have heard all day
and I don't even know you

stay sober
and
for most
it get's even better

many blessings sent to the two of you
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back!

You're right, you haven't posted enough!

Please come here more often to share your story of success!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, I hope it all works out for you and your wife. my wife noticed a huge change in my attitude, mood and behavior. I hope you let her know what it means that she stood by you.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your success! Thanks for posting...we love these stories!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes !!! Thanks for posting ...great story
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It makes me so happy to read something like this! I'm really, really glad for you; thanks so much for coming here and sharing the joy you're feeling right now.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We have to be ready, MTM. I'm so glad you finally are.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey MTM I remember you we joined same time. I already had 3 months sober and have remained so. If I can do it you sure can. I can tell you it is really great I wouldn't give those last 8 months back for anything.

Best of luck
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats..so happy for you and your wife! Being honest is a good thing and now you got the help you needed all along