Notices

Hi new here

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi new here

Where to start?
I am 48 and drink due to either stress or boredom. Stress due to work and boredom because I am depressed and not motivated when I am not working. I want to give up drinking because I know it is not doing me any favours both physically and mentally and what my family think. My best friend also drinks and when we meet every Friday we say we will cut down and we dont I need to get out of this cycle but dont know where to start as it has been a habit for years!
I am hoping to pack up work at the end of June so that alleviates the stress but its the depression and boredom that also worries me re drink.
What did any of you do to break your cycle? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit. Find some activities. Get involved in a healthy life. There is no time like the present.
Putting it off will only keep you in the place of "putting it off"
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Simple but not easy - I just quit drinking. I took it one day at a time and decided that drinking was no longer an option. I had the help of this site and my counselor. So far it's working after three years. And I considered myself hopeless but I wasn't. So you can get sober too.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important to make changes in your life. If boredom is a problem, then find ways to remove the boredom. Volunteer work is a great place to start and it enables you to give back. Take a course, start an exercise program, do whatever you can find to distract you from your regular routine.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I applaud your decision to quit. Things will only improve.

A couple things...
"I am 48 and drink due to either stress or boredom."

You may identify stress and boredom as the reasons, but by the time you join an online support forum for sobriety, the reason we drink is, frankly, alcoholism. The reason I mention that is if it was strictly boredom, finding a hobby would cure us of our drinking problem. It's a little tougher than that and quitting might take a multi-prong approach.

"I need to get out of this cycle but dont know where to start as it has been a habit for years!"
Habit is a misnomer. Again, by the time it's reached this stage, where it is difficult, if not almost impossible, to stop, we are well past habit. We can quit habits. Addictions take recovery.

Hope SR helps!