Insomnia on the begining

Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Insomnia on the begining

How do you guys handled this? I'm new
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Ramaldo. Welcome to SR!

Well, different methods work for different people. It depends how long you've been sober by far, what time you go to sleep, etc.

Exercising, and regular sleeping routine like waking up and getting to sleep at the same time every day work great.

As for medicines it's better to consult your Doc.

Best wishes to you.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, check this out. There's lots of discussion about insomnia on this SR website. Lots of approaches. Check with the doctor, but beware of prescriptions which have multiple refills or prescriptions in large amounts. Always make sure that your doc has control over the way you take your meds. It gets better as you go along. Maybe use TV to distract yourself at the beginning. Exercise, reading. Keep occupied. Your body is going to try to get you to resume drinking. Listen to that little voice within and then say "Get back in your cage, you bad dog! I'm not going to follow any of your suggestions any more. You've been nothing but bad news for me. So don't try to convince me that I'm "all right" and "one little drink won't do any harm." Put that beast back in the cage and throw away the key.

W.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a hard time sleeping the first month. To try & relax myself I read, watched sitcoms & read and posted on here. Eventually your body will catch up...welcome to sr!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told that no one ever died from lack of sleep. I was asked what did I expect after years of drinking and not to expect the damage I did to my nervous and various systems to be fixed overnight, but that it would get much better if we don't pick up the first drink. IT DID. We were also told to remember this painful period for personal "Remember When." BE WELL
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me things are opposite. I suffered from awful insomnia when I was drinking...I would have no problem falling asleep (3 wines and 3 large brandies might have had something to do with that), but ultimately I would wake up after 3-4 hours sleep and my mind would race...worrying about my health etc. I would be awake for most of the night after that:-(

Since I quit...so far I have slept like a baby each night!...so much nicer.

I have also been drinking hot green tea right before bed...maybe that's helping.

Best of luck!