Notices

hi, new here, so I guess that's a start

Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi, new here, so I guess that's a start

Wow, first post. hope this pans out for me. I'm here and I've never quit before. I guess i'll need to start clicking on some links and see how this pans out. Today was rough, little sweaty and shaky at work but I wouldn't really call it day one being that I had a little scotch in my coffee this morning. God that sounds terrible when I actually admit it. I guess I've been in denial for quite a while. So here goes, day one tomorrow, at least I got most of today under my belt.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting and congratulations on taking the important step of visiting this site. Good Luck and please provide us with updates.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR intriptik! You're not alone in this - we all know what you're going through.

Many times I had beer for breakfast. Then drank all day. Odd how I justified it for so long. When I found SR I was so glad to know I wasn't the only one who'd done these things. It was so good to have a place to talk it over with people who really understood. Glad to have you with us, and congratulations for making this decision.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may think that it sounds terrible, but you're bringing it out into the open. Good for you! This site has been very very helpful to me especially during those really rough days. Keep posting and keep coming back.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very supportive place. I too found comfort here in knowing I wasn't alone in my misery and that there was a way out of the darkness.

I'm glad you joined our family!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm scared, I don't want to not drink. I want to be able to just have 1 or 2 drinks but I can't. I just drink till I blackout and I don't like that. I don't like not being in control. Am I really just not gonna ever be able to drink? That bothers me. Thanks for the replies guys
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome intriptik

D
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

intriptik!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!! It might be too much to think that you're never gonna drink again...just think that tomorrow you won't be drinking and take it from there. Day by day, one hour at a time. .
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, I guess that's how this while thing works huh? Why defeat myself at the beginning? Tomorrow is a new day. Day 1. And I'll go from there. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yep forever is a long time. A day is only 24 hours. Each new day you have a choice. If you put enough days together you might like how you feel and want to put some more days together. They say that recovering from alcoholism is a simple program for complicated people. I have always said that the first day of sobriety is the most important day, because without day 1 there can be no day 2.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
Welcome!! It might be too much to think that you're never gonna drink again...just think that tomorrow you won't be drinking and take it from there. Day by day, one hour at a time. .
That's so true... I try to sign the 24 hour commitment thread here every night and it really help me. Give it a try if you like. It's really cool seeing the same people sign up every night and you get to know something about them.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 05-13-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added 's to that
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, I didn't sleep at all I don't think. Very nervous and anxious. I hope no one at works notices my jitters. I've actually hit the 24 hour mark as of 6am. 1 down let's see what today's like 😁
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Intriptik - I have had many day 1's. my anxiety is always the worst in the first couple of days. Wishing you the best.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Intriptik! Just remember that what you are feeling is temporary. It will get better.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, your words of encouragement are comforting. This too shall pass
Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

intriptik, welcome.

You haven't slept well, you're nervous and jittery, but you are still up, still getting on with it, still going to work. That takes guts. Respect.

Keep strong and keep posting.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, here I am, end of day two. Feeling A bit better, not as shaky but still anxious/nervous. I just hope I can sleep well tonight. Today was a hell of a day at work and while leaving I even joked that, I picked a bad week to quit drinking. I seriously considered stopping off for a pint on the way home ya know, "just one. It was a hard day and I deserve to relax" common dialog that I, at one time, would buy into. I didn't today. Wanted to but didn't because I knew where it goes. And while I might feel a little nervous or shakey in the morning, I won't feel hungover! Today was a triumph of will. Tomorrow is another opportunity to flex that muscle I call will.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't worry about sleeping... just rest at night. Worrying about it will make it harder!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post
Don't worry about sleeping... just rest at night. Worrying about it will make it harder!
Yeah that's the kicker huh? Not thinking about the sleep you're not getting lol