Notices

New to area

Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to area

Hello - Just moved here from Phoenix, AZ and live in the Olympia/Lacey area. My daughter is 18 years old and has just completed a year long residential therapeudic treatment center for her addiction. My faith is what helped us as a family make it to where we are today. I knew that we could no longer live in AZ so we quit our jobs, sold our house and left everyone and everything we knew to start fresh. My question for everyone is where do we go to help her find support NA groups that are made up of peers in her age group? We attended one meeting in Olympia on Tuesday pm but was made up of 30+. I understand that the "older" group might be better for her as in having a sponsor but right now - we have been here for a month - she is getting board - she knows no one and this is frightening for me. Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I"d suggest calling the local AA/NA chapter to see if they have any meetings specific for younger age if she feels uncomfortable. How does she feel about it? Completely understand that you are caring for her as a parent, but she is an adult and ultimately she will need to make her own decisions on how she wants to stay sober. Best of luck and glad to hear things are working out for the better.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott - She does want to remain sober so that is really why I want to help guide her so she meets new sober friends. I will give them a call. Thank you again
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by WAnewcomer View Post
Thanks Scott - She does want to remain sober so that is really why I want to help guide her so she meets new sober friends. I will give them a call. Thank you again
That sounds like a plan. Perhaps she should make the call herself? You might want to introduce her to the SR forum as well - I think she'd find the SR community a great help to her wherever you live. Geographically moving doesn't remove her from the problems - there are drugs, alcohol and temptations in every local in the world. She will need to take ownership of her own recovery to make it last.