Notices

Valerian

Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valerian

Hey there, has anyone tried Valerian root to help them sleep? I know that when one quites drinking sleeping can become a problem so i bought a bottle of this stuff, Just wondering if anyone here has experience with it? or maybe you know of other sleeping aids?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Chilled.

Valerian root is good stuff, but for me it didn't work at all, but all people are different. Just make sure that bottle you've bought contains no alcohol!

I've suffered from insomnia quite a while and was about to shoot myself out of misery.

Combination of exercising, melatonin and cutting computer/tv time at least two hours before going to bed finally did the trick.

Take care.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input MidnightBlue

May i ask, what is melatonin?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Melatonin is hormone generated by our body and helps to regulate sleeping-wakefullness cycles. It's sold over the counter as far as I know.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Valerian for a while to help with sleep. I found that I had to take it a couple of hours before bed. It worked pretty well but it make me feel really out of it (more than usual) in the morning.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ahh ok thanks Midnight i will look into that!

In all honesty i dont mind feeling really out of it if it helps with the sleep and calming of my nerves
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Valerian root produces a mild calming effect for me. It didn't help me sleep, but it cut down on the restlessness that accompanied my lack of sleep. Kava Kava was similar in that regard.

Be aware that Valerian root capsules smell bad. Like sweaty socks when you open the bottle.

Melatonin worked for me for a while, but I grew a tolerance of it. Same thing happened with Ambien.

Physical activity during the day and an established routine (same bed time every night, etc.) have had the best results for me.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can not take Valerian due to the "Hangover" in the morning. Your natural food store will have an abundance of sleep aids, and relaxants if you need them. The effects of this herb will be different for most people. Good luck to you!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found it took several weeks before I started getting some semblance of normal sleep. You may want to just give your body some time to heal and adjust before looking at supplements or sleep aids. It does get better though, so hang in there!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always been able to sleep pretty well...sober or drunk, but very rarely I can't get to sleep due to anxiety. I've taken Valerian supplement twice and both times it put me right to sleep. It works for me!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well ive just read ont he label that it contains ethanol so obviously i cant take it! ahhhhh well i will watch a movie to take my mind off and help me get sleepy
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are in the UK, we cannot buy melatonin.

It is a prescription only medicine and is only used in patients over 55 years old I think.

My best
x
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Supplements are not harmless.

Kava kava

Possible Interactions with: Valerian

I always recommend people see their Drs before taking supplements, especially if they're on other medications.

A certain amount of sleeplessness is par for the course for a little while I'm afraid - if that concerns you, it's best to talk with your Dr

D
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you have a doctor, ask him/her if Trazodone would be an option for you.

I was prescribed it, I take 50mg about 30 minutes before bedtime. It helps me sleep better than anything I've ever tried, but it is a prescription only medication in the US. I don't have any "hangover" effects from using it.

Also, I have used an over-the-counter product called "Dream Water." They are little 2 or 3 ounce bottles of liquid with a berry flavor, and they have a few herbal ingredients that promote sleep. Those worked decently for me as well. Good luck getting to sleep!

Oh, also try this (with a pair of headphones, at medium-low volume):
Sleep II + RAIN (One Hour Binaural & Isochronic beats for sleep 3.4Hz Delta range & OM) - YouTube
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took valerian root extract. It worked for me. Helped a lot with anxiety and sleeping
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember our medical advice rule.
Sharing experience is generally fine - making recommendations is not.

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.