Anyone else a sibling of a drug addict? :\

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else a sibling of a drug addict? :\

hey,

im new here, im 22, my bro is a heroin addict, he has been for about 9-10yrs now. but now my other bro is starting to take crack cocaine, it makes me so sad to see what they are doing to my parents

is there anyone else out there
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My son is the addicted loved one in my life, but I know your pain of watching someone we love self-destruct with drugs.

Others will be along to welcome you. In the meantime take a read around, especially the sticky posts at the top of the forum. There is a lot of helpful information there that may help you get through this.

Again, welcome to SR.

Hugs
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im 25
My brother is 23 and has been an addict for almost 10 years.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm 37, my older brothers are 42 and 46 and they both smoke pot several times a day, every day. They're mostly functional, except for the fact that they both have extreme anger issues and are known to fly off the handle at any given moment, often putting themselves (and whoever is unfortunate enough to be with them at the time) in danger. They dabbled in a myriad of other drugs over the years before finally settling on weed as their DOC.

Sending hugs.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A decade of drug use? Any consequences yet? especially legal. I found that people who get away with stuff as younger adult tend to get more cocky about their use. And harder to change. It's their choice although if someone started as a teenager I don't know how informed their choice could've been.

I'd offer advice but until they are ready to change usually from a severe consequence they wont. Young adults are tough because they don't have alot at stake yet.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My brother is 31 and is addicted to heroin. I am 38. He has lost everything except the roof over his head, only because my parents own said roof and haven't brought themselves to throw him and his fiance out yet. My parents help his ex raise his son. It is destroying my parents. Very sad to watch. So sorry to hear that you are going through this.

Many hugs!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My 38 year old brother is a crack addict. He started with pot in high school, then dabbled in coke a bit and I don't know when he turned to crack but its been atleast a year and a half. Oh he's also hooked on steroids, as he's a 6'2" body builder. Nice combo, eh?

He's done outpatient and inpatient rehab. After inpatient rehab (4 or 5 years ago) he was sober for a year and a half. That's the longest he's been in "recovery". He has a 7 year old son (w his xwife whos a drinker) and a 3 month old daughter with his "girlfriend" (if you can call someone your girlfriend who you lie, cheat, steal from, and basically treat with no respect)

My parents recently bought a home 15 minutes away from my brother to try to "help". My heart is breaking for them, and for myself as I feel I've basically lost my entire immediate family. Thank God I have a supportive husband and 2 great kids.

At the advice of someone on this group, I emailed my brother about 3 weeks ago to let him know I knew he was using regularly and that I loved him but hoped he would get help. No response. Atleast he knows I know.

Sorry you are going thru this. Its a helpless feeling.

Hugs