Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What is the most difficult thing about having a loved one who is an alcoholic/addict

What is the most difficult thing about having a loved one who is an alcoholic/addict

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What is the most difficult thing about having a loved one who is an alcoholic/addict

What is the most difficult thing about having a loved one who is an alcoholic/addict?

Mine would be constant fear of my father's death...as much as he is a toxic person he is also a wonderful person who i can't stand to loose.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Watching the man I love, and have loved since childhood, slowly destroy himself.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seeing my children's father treat them in a way that the man I married would have been horrified at? That's just one that comes to mind.

I don't fear his death. At this point, death would be a liberator for him.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Knowing their health is on a big downslide. Knowing they could die soon. Feeling guilty from being mean, indifferent or uncaring to them in the past. Thinking they could still have a quality life if they stop now, but the window is closing. Wondering where they go when they do pass.

If I knew my brother will indeed go to heaven....whenever his time comes....I'd be much more settled.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The unpredictability that keeps me in a constant state of watchfulness and fear for what's next - knowing the cruelty and selfishness AH is capable of.

I don't worry for him. He looks out for his own interests. It's how he effects the children - and me - that is my greatest concern.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering!

Empty promises.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Feeling disappointed and let down.

My mum bought my baby daughter some beautiful shoes yesterday.
I rang in the evening to say thank you.
She was drunk, slurring and repeating herself.

She was drunk when I had my baby too.
Makes me sad x
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SolTraveler View Post
Watching the man I love, and have loved since childhood, slowly destroy himself.
Yes this. I could and can handle the drunken messes. Just watching someone you love purposely kill themselves. That's the rub. Watching every stupid "decision" they make. Trying to stop it, and you just can't.

You just can't.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

For me, the hardest thing is the family times that are missed when you have to detach from your children---loving them from a great--great distance. Life is short, and the experiences missed can never be regained. It feels like throwing precious parts of life away.

And, this is Mother's Day weekend.

dandylion
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

knowing that you don't really exist as long as you live with him.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Waiting for the proverbial 'shoe to drop' and being anxious over what's next. The lies don't help much either.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Remembering that kind gentle human being that I've known since 13 and cringing at the human being he's become. Dealing with the chaos and the nastiness. Watching him disconnect with the family around him that truly love him and are sadly watching his downward spiral. Feeling sad that he's missing out and not receiving that wonderful pure love and joy from grandchildren. Never seeing joy...he never smiles. There's just sadness in his world. Going into my retirement years without him. I would've never guessed that 37 years later this marriage would end . Feeling the sadness that this disease brings .
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trying to trust him. Knowing that when he gets drunk he has no idea what he's doing and so anything at all could happen. It's such a scary thought.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The emotional unavailability. Feeling so lonely even when I was with him.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Knowing how crucial and life sustaining recovery has been for me.

Deeply knowing that another is not ready for recovery it, and it does not matter what I do he might never be. It deeply saddens me about what he will likely miss as a result.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the honest and heartfelt posts in Friends and family. My hubby is an addict , I am an alkie/addict, we r both in recovery. But I come here because I need to be reminded of the pain I caused my loved ones when I was out there. It breaks my heart to think back to the fear , sadness and disgust my drinking brought others and this Forum is a great tool for me in staying clean and sober. Thank You! I am sorry for all your pain.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippiLngstockng View Post
The unpredictability that keeps me in a constant state of watchfulness and fear for what's next - knowing the cruelty and selfishness AH is capable of.

I don't worry for him. He looks out for his own interests. It's how he effects the children - and me - that is my greatest concern.
Yeah. This. And dealing with the fallout especially with the kids to try to give them a safe and sane space.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the deception. about everything. not only to us but to themselves and others. it never ends and covers the spectrum. the energy they put in to deception, if used to recover instead...well, it seems it would be a breeze for them. but they won't. this is hard.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stella27 View Post
knowing that you don't really exist as long as you live with him.
Originally Posted by akalacha View Post
The emotional unavailability. Feeling so lonely even when I was with him.
^^^YES and YES.^^^
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Having a loved one that is an alcoholic/addict.