Notices

Drank after 8 months sober

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank after 8 months sober

Dont know what to say really.

In a weird way I'm a little embarrassed at posting this on here because I feel I've let you all down which is stupid because I don't know anyone of you.

I need to come clean about something else as well. This is my second soberrecovery account. I invented a while ago just to ask more questions that I needed to know. Sorry, but I did not want any of you to judge me so I made up a fake account to be anonymous, to erm... people I dont even know?! Crazy huh. And right now I feel ashamed so I prefer it If none of you knew my real username. This is so stupid?!

Anyway here is little bit about me. I was 8 months sober and now I'm not, we I am still am sober but I had a slip? (sorry very confused as to what I am now?). During the whole 8 months I rarely thought about drinking. It never bothered me when my wife had a drink. I did not miss drinking at all and I felt enormous pride that had achieved sobriety.

It was my Dads birthday, not just any birthday, his 80th. Me and Dad are pretty close. The whole birthday thing with his age and everything was pretty emotional. I cooked a meal for my parents and my wife. My mom brought round a bottle of champagne. I figured because I had ditched drink for 8 months I'd be fine. I also really wanted to toast him on his birthday. So I did. I had a glass of Champagne.

What happened next scared the **** out of me. Almost instantly the alcohol cravings came back. I found myself topping my glass up when no-one was looking. I went to fridge to top it up again between courses. During the meal I had a glass of red wine and I just wanted more and more. Thankfully I did not go mad, as it was a family occasion I behaved myself. I guess i must have drank 3 glasses of champagne and 2 glasses of red wine.

The next morning I felt rough, not hungover, but almost like I had flu or a cold? So far the last week I have been suffering with a runny nose and sore throat. Its almost like the alcohol affected my immune system? It that possible?

I dont feel like I have completely 'fallen off the wagon'. It was just a slip (hopefully) and I'm now back to the way I was before, being sober, again. I was gutted that I blew my 8 months away by one silly night but I have decided the best way for me to deal with it is to say I had a slip, is that ok? I've come so far in the last 8 months I dont want to feel like I have to start all over again from day 1. Can I do that?

One thing is for sure, it was a MASSIVE lesson learnt. Once an alchy always an alchy.

Be careful out there, dont become complacent like me.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing Whatsgoingon. Scary for sure but good job on not letting it turn into a full on bender and multi-day relapse. Just goes to show how powerful a grip Alcohol can have. Certainly hope you continue to stick with us -and don't feel embarrased about the other account- you can ask anything you want.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
I need to come clean about something else as well. This is my second soberrecovery account. I invented a while ago just to ask more questions that I needed to know. Thanks
I merged your two accounts for you under this new user name.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not an expert -- nor do I play one on TV -- but others whom I trust have told me that a slip not the same as a relapse.

On the other hand, my slips have been painful enough. I am trying to just learn from them, without getting caught up in the self-browbeating, because the obsessive guilt is also part of the disease.

Whether or not you start the count over may not be the most important takeaway here.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

A day 16er here... Had some cold/flu like symptoms too during my first week. What can I say other than It Happens. Call it a "slip" or what ever, its part of the larger game and your Still Winning. Don't beat yourself up too much. I made it a year before, slipped and fell down the hill for another year. You on the other hand posted here. That is a victory!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. One of my big worries is thinking that once I'm sober for a length of time that I'll pick up that first drink which I know right now would turn into many many more.
Sharing your story shows the reality that we are alcoholics always.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i like you post. i often ask my self can i have one glass. so many times i wanted test my self. i think i can past the test. but i dont want to try, cause i am affraid to try.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
i like you post. i often ask my self can i have one glass. so many times i wanted test my self. i think i can past the test. but i dont want to try, cause i am affraid to try.

I thought I could pass the test too. I didn't!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered

For me, whether I drank or not was irrelevant. Relapses/slips/whatever occur in my mind long before I ever pick up. I have no mental defense against that first drink if I am not following my PLAN.

Call it whatever you want. But DO what needs to be done to prevent the mental relapse. It will cause the act of drinking sooner or later. So ignoring the beast, trusting a higher power, or whatever.....
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Instead of worrying about whether it is a relapse or a slip I would look at why you felt that in order to toast your dad you needed alcohol. I would be more worried with the fact that the connection of alcohol and big celebrations/honoring someone is still there.

I would revamp my recovery plan and how I look situations.

I would start at day 1 again only to make sure that I acknowledge the slip and don't just pretend it didn't happen. While you handled it better than a lot (didn't get completely drunk or go on a multi-day bender) you still want to address why it happened and how to prevent to stop it from happening again.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you are back. Applied what you learned--from both your 8 months sober and your one-day relapse--to your ongoing recovery.

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
I was gutted that I blew my 8 months away by one silly night but I have decided the best way for me to deal with it is to say I had a slip, is that ok? I've come so far in the last 8 months I dont want to feel like I have to start all over again from day 1. Can I do that?
Count...don't count...people have different opinions to its worth or not. However, if are going to count, you are tracking continual days of sobriety. You broke that streak by drinking. To me, it doesn't matter how little or much. You drank. The next day, if you don't drink, is day one.

Doesn't mean you lose those eight months. You had a great stretch of sobriety. However, the slip indicates the addiction still has a hold of you. Believe me, I thought a lot about drinking at 90 and 180 days thinking one day in 180 is great, considering I drank every day.

I found it best not to make compromises with my sobriety.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm glad that you have made it back after only a day. So, what did your last experiment teach you?

IMO you NEVER lose your sober time. This isn't a contest to see who can stay sober longest. You are sober today at this moment and this moment is all we really have.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with maylie. I would start it over just cuz I don't want to think its ok to slip here and there.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your post. It is a great reminder to me of what can happen at any time in sobriety. You probably posted to get it off your chest but that is one of the great miracles of one alcoholic talking to another. You actually helped me today. Thanks!
As for the counting, count, don't count. Everyone is different but just be honest with yourself and you will be fine.
Alcohol is tricky. Little bottles don't come falling out of the sky and landing in our laps when we are strong and could just push them away. It comes at you when you least expect it. Remember that for next time and know what to do when it happens again.

Oh yeah. I used to be known as duke2153 when I was still drinking and was quite a mess. I changed my name because I think I changed my sobriety date 9 times and was a little embarrassed. Don't sweat it.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi whatsgoingon

Well done on facing up to what happened and getting back on the wagon. I did the same (had a drink) after over a year of sobriety, but it then took me several years to get back on the wagon again. Sometimes, perhaps, we have to learn these lessons the painful way, but I'm glad you've got the sense to sort it out straight away. Well done.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Alcohol raises your allergens level while decreasing your bodies immune system. So that would explain the cold.
Hopefully this is a learning experience and I'm thinking it was. Thank you for the reminder about that first drink. I feel like if I heard this every day, it wouldn't be too often for me.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Please dont be embarrassed. This site is an Alcohol and drug recovery site. We know all about relapse or what ever you want to call it. I am so happy that you posted. We need you here. Keep on Keeping on!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. I know first hand the problem with becoming complacent.

So you no longer have 8 months sober. But if my math is correct you've been sober about 239 of 240 days in the past 8 months. Don't beat yourself up too bad, just get back on the sober train.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back whatsgoingon

D
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to see you, whats. We're the last people to be embarrassed around! You can be yourself here and come clean - we all get it.

I did a similar thing after 3 yrs. sober - it was shocking how easily I slid back into alcoholic drinking when I'd only intended to have 'one or two'. That's when I knew I could never touch a drop - or risk getting back on the highway to hell. I found SR around that time, too - and since so many others had the same experience, I was comforted and strengthened by sharing here. Hope you will continue to talk about your feelings. We care.