Notices

Withdrawal Symptoms and Recovery. Questions

Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Symptoms and Recovery. Questions

I recently just started cold turkey with sobriety after a night of binge drinking. Been a heavy drinker (everyday) for a while now and on weekends would drink even more. With Cinco De Mayo this past sunday i figured "hey you know what. I should get really drunk!" after i had been drinking since saturday afternoon.

Spent the night at a friends house sunday night. Came home monday and slept till 6pm. Later that night the shakes kicked in and i still hadnt been able to eat all day and spent the night rolling around and not sleeping, throwing up and getting cold sweats.

At about finally 11 am yesterday I made myself get out of bed and eat some soup since i was shaking so much. Almost to the point i called 911 (which is a lot for me to do) I figured id give it 30 minutes to get a little better and see how it goes. I felt a little bit better after that. Went to the bathroom only to see urine a very dark color. i knew i was highly dehydrated. I started drinking tons of water, and kept eating soup. I did this all through out the day and started feeling a lot better.

I woke up today feeling great except for a headache i have and still feel fatigued, and just like blah. Maybe the fog mind people talk about?

Anyone have any idea as to how long these will last. and what i should do to help?

Also i know i should've went to the doctors. I wouldnt recommend what I did for anyone. Worse feeling ive ever had. Im just glad im now able to sleep a little bit and feeling a bit better.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im feeling pretty normal right now. I keep going in of normalcy and fog brained. but the increments are getting further away from each other so thats good. And when i do get fog brained, Its for a lot less shorter of a time. Hopefully tonight ill actually be able to sleep a whole nights sleep. Im sure that is a big contributing factor to feeling like this. slept like 4 hours in the past 48 hours.

3 days sober. And I plan on it for the rest of my life.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats on you decision. Hang in there; it gets so much better... Fog brain is normal. If you feel anything really nasty get some real medical help. I'm on day 15 and still adjusting, but feel exponentially better than my day 3.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you quit drinking. I can't say how long your w/d will last as everyone is different, but generally a week or two before you're physically over it. Then starts your recovery journey. And you've got us for company on that journey.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi jackit50 please keep at it , life does get better sober ,
Old 05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, it took a full 10 days to get rid of all of the physical symptoms: sweating; fatigue; headaches; stomach upset. I also gave up drinking coffee at the same time.

I am on day 14 and feel much better... It just takes a bit of time.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

3 days sober. And I plan on it for the rest of my life.
Jack let's me and you just stay sober the rest of the day and worry about the rest of our lives tomorrow (day 21 for me). Congrats on 3 days. I find that by the end of the first week most of the physical withdrawal is behind me.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks guys for all the support. Im gonna be posting in here often just also for my own sanity and to get it out there. Im very happy that I feel like im stepping in the right direction and continually feel better and better. Basically my main thing is fog brain coming in and out. But as i previously stated that appears to be getting better. Shaking hasnt happened once today nor cold sweats. Those should stay away in theory right? or if they do come back not so severe? That is what im most worried about is for some reason getting worse.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you continue to post.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to a medically supervised detox inpatient program because my counselor said it was dangerous to do it on my own. When I quit my blood pressure went sky high and I had so many other symptoms that were relieved by the medications they gave me and helped me to be safe. I'm glad I did it that way. I was never able to just cut back, and she said definitely don't quit cold turkey. It only took me 48 hours, with all the medical supervision, and it felt safe and more comfortable than I ever would have been on my own.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 4- woke up feeling great. So much better today. I was actually able to sleep last night for a bit. At one point i slept for 4 straight hours. Woke up for 30-45 minutes then was able to sleep for probably another hour. I havent really had and brain fog today. I was able to go out and be productive today which felt amazing, and even turn on my radio and jam and sing along hahaha. Loving life right now, and i hope things just keep getting better! Thanks everyone for all the support so far. Its still early on but im standing strong.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay strong. You can do it!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

day - 5 Woke up still pretty tired. Wasnt able to sleep very much. But as the day has progressed im feeling fantastic. Was able to eat normal food today instead of just soups, and was able to keep it down. Im very happy with the progress ive made this week and cannot wait for weeks to come. Havent even craved or wanted to touch alcohol so far. And im sure thats how its gonna stay. If i do start to all i gotta do is remember how bad i felt this week and how badly it would be to start all over from 0. Thanks everyone for the support. You guys are amazing
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep it up! You have a great attitude, that will go such a long way.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bookmark this thread that you created!

If/when the cravings DO come back, please come back to this thread and treat it like a diary. Re-read how miserable you were, re-read how STRONGLY you felt about ditching alcohol from your life.

It's worked for me, hopefully it can help steer you clear! Good luck on the road to recovery
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I know you're riding the pink cloud of new sobriety but don't fool yourself that the cravings will never return. I'd recommend that you keep a daily journal and have some kind of solid plan for how to keep your sober life. You'd be amazed how your alcoholism will let you forget just how bad this experience has been and fool you into thinking you can drink with impunity. I personally recommend a program like AA or AVRT. They're proven methods to keep you sober. Don't stumble blindly through sobriety. I can almost assure you that it will end with your head in the bottle when you least expect it.

That being said, congrats on your sobriety! Keep plugging along!