New here and not sure where i belong

Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and not sure where i belong

Hello,

I'm not sure where i belong. i'm an adult child of alcoholic parents, i have a best friend that is an alcoholic and i just ended a long term relationship with an alcoholic and active opiate user. Fortunately, i do not have any alcohol/drug addictions myself, but i am an enabler and co-dependent. I have been doing a lot of reading about nar-anon/al-anon and others but i'm not sure where to actually begin because i identify with a bunch of them. whether that's a good or bad thing, i don't know. But i do know that i need help and need to work on me.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, welcome so glad you found us.

I think most of us can relate to being and adult child, having an x who is an A, and a best friend who is and A as well.

There is a section for adult children here, also a friends and family of alcoholics section.

More importantly , you found us, and we care, so read around the forum, in the different sections , and decide if you can where you feel comfortable posting.

This section was a good place to start, because you posted.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Sending a big hug, Katie
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Beth

As Katie said - this is a good place to start... there are other sections here too - I am also adult child of alcoholic - but joined this section as I am battling with H's cocaine addiction... but only after being a member of SR for almost a year - have I really begun to aknowledge the damage done with having an alcoholic dad.... even though there was no physical abuse - Dad really did love us - the best way he could - the emotional damage has been enormous - and only picking up the pieces now.
You are doing the right thing by working on yourself. I find the only time frame to getting better / and healing yourself - is FAITH and a true WILLINGNESS to heal. Be open to all suggestions.... and pray for your healing...
Keep posting!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bethc, . I too am an ACOA, my drinking got away from me and I once had 7.5 years clean and sober in AA, chose to drink again, did so for many years, then fell into crack addiction with my current husband (which not only saw ME become a crack addict but brought out all my latent codependancies!) and today we both have coming up on 7 years clean. you most CERTAINLY are welcome here and are among those who understand.

when you are ready, please share more about you....we are here, and we care, very much.