Notices

new to recovery

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to recovery

Hi there,

I am newly discharged from Detox, and am 17 days sober. I really found Sober Recovery helpful in deciding how to stop drinking, and wanted to be part of the community to get support and support others.

Right now I feel grateful that cravings aren't too bad, but I am very fragile (sensitive) to being overstimulated, irritated, and feel like all my nerves are exposed. My attention is on reducing stress as my #1 coping task, as stress is my primary trigger. I also feel pretty empty and lonely, despite a wonderful marriage and partner. I sleep a lot.

I am in IOP and attend meetings daily. Trying to find a home group I can handle, and to take it really slow.

Thanks for being available to allow me to share my thoughts and feelings as they come up, and for this great forum.

Peace,
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time, and it sounds like you're taking all the right steps.
I hope you feel free to post as often as you like.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your new life and welcome to SR WolfCub. Lots of good topics, help and resources here, stay with us and read lots - and let us know how you are doing.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR wolfcub. Congratulations on getting sober. I'm so glad you reached out and wanted to be part of the family.

SR helped me get and stay sober after drinking my whole life. Not feeling alone anymore that made all the difference. No matter what thoughts I had, someone else had them too - and their advice and support meant everything. I learned how to handle certain challenges - and to get over the hurdles. I hope you'll feel the same.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The decision to stop drinking is a smart one. My life is much better sober and I honestly don't miss alcohol one bit. SR is a big part of my recovery too.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you found us wolfcub - welcome!

D
Old 05-08-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wolfcub and I'm glad that you found us. SR has been a lifeline for me for many years.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

thanks for the warm welcome. I have found such support in treatment and AA, but there are many times (when I am home) that connection means a lot and SR looks like a good place to reach out!

grateful to be sober...