Notices

Anyone try Power to quit?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Question Anyone try Power to quit?

I have done a couple of the chapters on this website and got a call from the founder who did his assessment. He seems very good at what he does and was very helpful. He and a "life coach" put together a plan for me and called back with the pricing etc.. I am a single mom and do not have any extra money. Sometimes you just don't have any other options though.
I am wondering if anyone else has done this program? How many weeks did you participate and what was the cost to you? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of it, but it sounds kind of gimmicky to me, personally.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd have to agree - there are plenty of free programs to help with addiction that you could try before paying for one. Their website looks very commercial and doesn't really tell you anything about the program without signing up. Kind of a red flag right off the bat in my book.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

There have been articles on it in the examiner and huffington post. The program has 24 hour support and counseling sessions with the owner. My support system sucks. I do not think that it is a gimmick. I would love to hear from someone that actually went through it or attempted to. There are a lot of members on here so I am sure someone has. Thanks for the input
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What website?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by diha View Post
There have been articles on it in the examiner and huffington post. The program has 24 hour support and counseling sessions with the owner. My support system sucks. I do not think that it is a gimmick. I would love to hear from someone that actually went through it or attempted to. There are a lot of members on here so I am sure someone has. Thanks for the input
What other methods have you tried thus far? SR is here 24/7 ;-) AA has 24/7 hotlines too.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Well I joined here in 2011 and have not changed much. I have cut back a lot but I am not where I need to be. I have tried AVRT, some Womens group, I went to one AA meeting but it was not for me, counseling, intensive outpatient... I am sure that there are others. While this site is great, I think that being able to actually call someone, when I have a craving, would be helpful. Not just anyone, but someone who knows how to help. My family drinks A LOT and do not support me whatsoever with this.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think that being able to actually call someone, when I have a craving, would be helpful. Not just anyone, but someone who knows how to help.
I am not in AA but I believe the phone lists and hotlines are specifically for this purpose ( calling when you need help ). Not trying to totally discredit this other method, it just seems odd that they have very limited info available and the only way to get it is to pay for it for the most part. It also must be a very small group of participants if the owner him/herself is available to have personal counseling sessions with clients.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, there's a power to quit Facebook started in 08/2011 (and physical address listed as Utah) that has 38 likes. They last posted on it January 9th of this year.

That doesn't seem to reflect "Power to quit has levied a seething attack on alcoholism" that is mentioned in the Examiner "article".

I could dig further but I think just those 5 minutes tell me everything I need to know. Not sure about you.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-08-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit related to previous post
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I haven't tried it but I am on the website chatting with one of their agents and asking some questions.

I think the program that works is the one we are willing and able to commit to and put to work. If this is the one for you, and you believe the set up and support are the type you need, go for it, because THAT is what will make it successful.

Is the cost going to be a huge struggle for you?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

The cost is going to be tough on me. It would have to go on a credit card. I really do not want to spend the money. Maybe knowing that I had to spend that much would make me work harder at the program.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Maybe knowing that I had to spend that much would make me work harder at the program.
Sorry, that's not how alcoholism works. Programs work because you want and need to get sober.

I sense your desparation. I hope it's not a scam. I hope you are successful.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The cost is going to be tough on me. It would have to go on a credit card. I really do not want to spend the money. Maybe knowing that I had to spend that much would make me work harder at the program.
I'd be very hesitant to give someone my credit card for anything recurring until I talked with someone who had also used the same service or product. Perhaps there will be someone here who has used it, but as pointed out by another poster here their facebook page ( which is listed right on their main website ) hasn't had a single update by either the company or any of the participants since January of this year. That's generally a very bad sign for any company with a web presence to be even a few weeks out of date on social media.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn't trust them. It sounds like a con to me.
All over the landing page it says the treatment is free. And yet you're worrying about having enough money cover the cost of this program.

That's similar to a con called "Bait and Switch". Be VERY careful.

I think that being able to actually call someone, when I have a craving, would be helpful. Not just anyone, but someone who knows how to help.
That's AA.

Well I joined here in 2011 and have not changed much.
Just signing up here isn't going to work for most folks - usually you have to be VERY involved.

I have cut back a lot but I am not where I need to be.
If you're an alcoholic moderation almost never works. It's the holy grail alcoholics chase for decades.

I went to one AA meeting but it was not for me
Usually it takes going to 4 or 5 different meetings to find a group you're comfortable with.

Please be careful. There are so many people out there just waiting to take advantage of folks down on their luck.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wait a second, I googled for it, and it says "Free online alcohol recovery program." So why are you having to pay them? They're already being deceptive...
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post
What website?
If its a commercial website we can't allow links to it here.
I have removed a post.

D
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Wait a second, I googled for it, and it says "Free online alcohol recovery program." So why are you having to pay them? They're already being deceptive...
I went to the website and the "free part" is basically some online videos, reading material and one 30 minute counseling session, which I imagine is really a 30 minute pitch to sign up for the part where you have to pay.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Why was AA not for you? It sounds like it will provide the support network and means to quit you have described at a VERY affordable price...
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The site looks rather amateurish and their pitch seems very vague. If it seems too good to be true, chances are it is. Unless you can find some personal testimonials, I'd steer clear of this program, especially if they're already talking about costs upfront. Where do you live, if I may ask? If you're in a medium-to-large city, or near one, there may be intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) that are professionally staffed and monitored.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I am not able to spend that many hours an evening away from the kiddos. My family would not watch them for me plus all the homework etc. I live in WI about 45 minutes north of Milwaukee. I am on my way to a Brewers game completely sober. I want a drink so bad. The cravings are just horrible.