Notices

Nurses Daughter needing Advice

Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nurses Daughter needing Advice

Hello! I am in desperate need of advice from recovering alcoholic nurses. My mother received her 2nd owi last month and is now serving time in jail. My mother is now admitting she has a problem and is taking the necessary steps to kick her addiction to alcohol. My mother is a wonderful nurse and always have been, she just got caught up in bad decisions. I am on here to see if there is any hope. My mother loves working in healthcare and is willing to jump thru all the hoops if necessary. If anyone can please give me some insight on what nurses in her situation have done in the past that would be much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

they recover. many keep their employment. there is hope!

I've met many in AA.

I am sure others have recovered with other methods such as:

rational recovery
avrt
smart
life ring
sos
women for sobriety
power to quit

maybe you can get to al anon and read this forum: Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hugs,
~SB
Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I used to be a nurse, let my license lapse thanks to addiction.

However, I think every state has a program for "impaired nurses". I really wish I had gotten to know a recovering alcoholic nurse my job referred me to (she was actually my charge nurse) when I was let go, but I didn't.

If your mom truly wants to get back into nursing, she first needs to truly want recovery. Boards of Nursing don't play, and most have a LOT of hoops to jump through. It's entirely possible, thought..I know of many nurses who have gone through programs.

More than anything, your mom has to want recovery for herself. Getting sober for someone or something (including a career) usually doesn't hold up for the long run.

You may also want to check out the Friends & Family/Alcholics forum. It's for people who love alcoholics. Pretty good information and a good place to talk about how this has affected you.

I really do wish you and your mom the best!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My Sponsor is an RN. Sober 6 yrs. If she is serious about quitting there is much help & support for her.
My heart breaks for you & remember this is an illness that effects the whole family. I hope you can find help for yourself too.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR NursesDaughter

I have no personal experience, but that your mom has a willingness to do what is required, as well as what ever is necessary, should serve her in good stead.

best of luck to you both
D
Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi ND and welcome! I am a recovering alcoholic RN from Indiana. Like others have said, if she is truly wanting sobriety then recovery and maintaining her career are definitely possible. She will have to deal with the board of nursing for her state and many have 'impaired nurse' programs that are rigorous but definitely do-able. I could not stay away from the alcohol and ultimately called my states program for help. It helped save my life...I'm sure of that.

If she can afford it, an attorney who specializes in nurse licensure defense might be helpful when dealing with the BON. I know that in my state(Indiana) if the nurse is proactive and contacts the impaired nurse program on his/her own it looks better to the BON.

It's simple, but not easy, but definitely do-able and I am still working as a nurse and currently pursuing my masters.

I wish her all the best in her recovery!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know two guys in AA who are both nurses. It can be done.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here, and I hope you also take care of yourself.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I never thought I would have this many people respond to my post! I've looked all over the internet and not been able to find much hope. It gives not only my mother hope but the family as well. I know how much her career meant to her and it would kill me to see her lose all the hard work she's done over the years.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anew View Post
Hi ND and welcome! I am a recovering alcoholic RN from Indiana. Like others have said, if she is truly wanting sobriety then recovery and maintaining her career are definitely possible. She will have to deal with the board of nursing for her state and many have 'impaired nurse' programs that are rigorous but definitely do-able. I could not stay away from the alcohol and ultimately called my states program for help. It helped save my life...I'm sure of that.

If she can afford it, an attorney who specializes in nurse licensure defense might be helpful when dealing with the BON. I know that in my state(Indiana) if the nurse is proactive and contacts the impaired nurse program on his/her own it looks better to the BON.

It's simple, but not easy, but definitely do-able and I am still working as a nurse and currently pursuing my masters.

I wish her all the best in her recovery!

I'm so glad to hear all of this! We are actually in Indiana and we have already been working with ISNAP so she can reach her goals. They were a little brutal when they did her intake but I'm sure that's for a reason. From the research I've done BON is pretty brutal and getting an attorney sounds like our best bet but I wanted to make sure other nurses have done it before we put out all the money for the BON attorney. I just needed hope and you definitely just made my day! Thank you so much!