Notices

Feeling guilty

Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling guilty

It's my day 9. I can honestly say that this is hands down the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
The weekend totally wore me out. I really should've stayed at home but I wanted to go shoot pool. I realized that the biggest issue that I have is the guilt. I'm always the one who buys drinks for everyone and is the last one to go home. If there was somebody who didn't want to drink, I thought that he/she was totally boring. Now I was that person. I was the boring girl who ordered coke when others were taking shots. You could see the disappointment on my friends' face even though they were saying that they totally understand...
I felt so guilty and so boring.But I made it through.

I realized that I have to be totally selfish when it comes to this disease. If they understand, that's great, if not, I don't give a tiny rat's a**...
If I drink, they're not the ones who need to deal with the consequences. It'll be me, no one else but me.

I have decided to beat this thing. It has destroyed 20 years of my life and it stops now...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! That's awesome and a huge accomplishment to be around it and NOT do it. Should feel good!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, ultimately it doesn't matter a hoot what your friends think. You're the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror every day and you are on the right track.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You do have to put your recovery first in order to make it work. That's not being selfish, it's being sensible.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Real Friends love you for who you are. They are hard to come by and worth keeping.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
I was the boring girl who ordered coke when others were taking shots. You could see the disappointment on my friends' face even though they were saying that they totally understand...
I felt so guilty and so boring.But I made it through.
You might want to consider staying out of you old haunts, hold off doing the activities (shooting pool) that were part of your drinking days. At least until you have a few months of solid recovery under your belt.

You want to be sober. There is nothing to feel guilty about. That's your addiction hoping it can make you feel bad enough to drink. DON'T.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sassu78, I feel the same way sometimes. I am proud of you for not drinking!! I am on day 8. I have put myself in similar situations and I am so happy that I have not drank and can remember the whole night. All of my friends and most of my family drink, but not like I did. One was never enough, nor 3, nor 5.,,,I am not going back there! Keep up the good work
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for your support!!

Nowme: I'm the same way; I can't stop after two...I drink so many that I lose count...
Congrats about making it to day 8! The worst physical part should be over now for both of us :o)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep on pushing through. One day at a time. It gets easier, and it gets better. You are worthy of an amazing life. We are here for you every step of the way.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You play softball mizzuno?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Only asking cause that's a bat brand. Lol random I'm sure.