Notices

Failed attempt......yet again!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failed attempt......yet again!

Yesterday would have been my 3rd day alcohol free.......and I blew it, got drunk on 2 and a half bottles of wine and conked out on the sofa, woke up freezing at 3am. Cannot believe I couldnt even make it past day 3 Feeling extremely dissapointed in myself and very low today.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you drank. What is it you plan to do to keep this from happening?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those feelings now are what we need to use to move forward with our lives.

In my opinion, feeling how you are now, it a big part of the recovery process. If we never felt like that, why would we ever even consider stopping?

Use them as your inspiration. You can do it. I can do it. We can all do it!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, what caused you to start drinking? What can you do to avoid that next time? Use this experience to learn and to move forward.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So, what caused you to start drinking? What can you do to avoid that next time? Use this experience to learn and to move forward.
I honestly dont know. I have BPD (borderline personality disorder) and am extremely impulsive, one of my main symptoms of BPD, and the urge to go and buy it just took over. Am seriously considering asking my psychiatrist to put me on a mood stabiliser that reduces impulsivity as drinking isnt the onky area it effects me in- spending money, getting pets then having to rehome them, oh god my impulsiveness is unreal.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made it 4 days then drank Saturday and Sunday. I jumped back on the wagon yesterday determined not to let 2 bad days determine my future. Just move forward and try your best. It's going to get easier with time. Hang in there and keep moving forward!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I made it 4 days then drank Saturday and Sunday. I jumped back on the wagon yesterday determined not to let 2 bad days determine my future. Just move forward and try your best. It's going to get easier with time. Hang in there and keep moving forward!!!
Yes, im going to do the same I just read an interesting article about alcohol- i was thinking of all the things i associate with drinking at home, which i thought was everything really- but the author mentioned doing things that you dont associate with alcohol, such as going to bed early, reading-things i like doing. I think i need to cut out all the things i do at home that i associate with wine, even just to get me over the first few days- and just take it hour by hour, not even day by day as it just seems too much for me right now, so im going to take it hour by hour.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

fellow wine drinker here. I'm sober about 11 wks. Yes, come 5pm each evening, my mouth would salivate for chilled white wine. I had to dissociate from my usual activities as they all involved drinking. (one being sitting in living room watching tv, and chores etc).

So for the first 2 weeks, I got into bed at 6pm with lap top, tv, books, cups of tea and some goodies (choc). I had to do this to remove the usual habit of walking in door, opening wine.

It really helped the first couple of weeks. I still crave, but no where near as much as those early days. Hope that helps.

Good luck to all, rooting for you all
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Learn from it, forgive yourself, and move forward again. What are you going to do differently from now on? You can do this.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Redhead. You're back to try again, that's the main thing. You're realizing that wine isn't going to take you anywhere good or happy. It's a dead end of misery. You are not defeated - you will do this.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You might visit Alcoholics Anonymous...it worked for this redhead...class of 83...sober since 2009
Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And this grey haired old dude sober since 1989 in AA ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tammy47 View Post
fellow wine drinker here. I'm sober about 11 wks. Yes, come 5pm each evening, my mouth would salivate for chilled white wine. I had to dissociate from my usual activities as they all involved drinking. (one being sitting in living room watching tv, and chores etc).

So for the first 2 weeks, I got into bed at 6pm with lap top, tv, books, cups of tea and some goodies (choc). I had to do this to remove the usual habit of walking in door, opening wine.

It really helped the first couple of weeks. I still crave, but no where near as much as those early days. Hope that helps.

Good luck to all, rooting for you all
Hi Tammy,

I currently struggle after work too. One of my favorite places to drink was the kitchen while I cooked, etc. Now when I am in there, I don't know what to do with myself.

I have been going to bed early too. I bring my phone, a cup of tea and also a snack:-) and hang out surfing my boards and doing some reading. I felt like a coward going to bed early, but I guess who cares as long as I am not drinking right?

Looking forward to the cravings dying down!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep trying until you get it right. I relapsed a few times myself. Many of us have. Have you tried AA? They were a great help to me.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea, Dolly, it felt odd, going to bed at 6pm for 2 weeks. But I had to stick that out, or it would not have worked. I cheated with dinners that week, buying quick micro dinners. Not my favourite, but cooking was a no no, for the very reason you stated. I live alone, so could afford to be bad in the dinner area for couple of weeks. I still can't cook long nice meals mind you, yet! but I'm getting there. Good look, keep us posted