Notices

time of day

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

time of day

So hitting that time where my brain is now focused on wine. R there any drinkers like me (wine most nights) who have quit. Do the cravings last long? I won't give in. There is no quitting tomorrow, I know tomorrow never comes
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Wine, beer, whiskey...I don't think what you drank matters, in the beginning stage of sobriety you think about drinking.

A lot.

The duration of the actual thoughts were short, but they came one after another. I just had to ride it out. As long as you say no to the "voice" it weakens. Give in, and it will be more insistent the next time.

Keep your mind occupied. It doesn't make the thoughts go entirely away. But as long as you are doing something else, you aren't drinking.

Stay strong.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Djulz View Post
So hitting that time where my brain is now focused on wine. R there any drinkers like me (wine most nights) who have quit. Do the cravings last long? I won't give in. There is no quitting tomorrow, I know tomorrow never comes
Wine was my drink of choice. I'm on 200 days without it today. Feels amazing, better than any glass of red wine I've ever had. One day at a time.

I get swept along with romanticising about wine & wine situations, more than actual cravings if that makes sense. But if I think too long I do remember the acid heartburn, stained teeth and bad choices which soon brings me back to sober reality.

Good luck

S x
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for not quitting. I loved wine too, but yes, for sure the cravings diminish. My crazy time was early in the evening, so I started getting out of the house and walking and it really helped.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey I'm on day 3 and hitting that time of day too, I've just had a coffee , I also find bizarrely that brushing my teeth helps lol!!! Stay strong, I'm in this with u! Hate this time of day!! Xx
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you peeps. Its sooooo good having a board i can be open and honest and get advice. I picked up my daughter from nursery got a BIG reminder of the main reason im doing this....for her. I am a good mother, but if i kept up like this then who knows what the future would hold. She derserves all of me for as long as possible x
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
I get swept along with romanticising about wine & wine situations, more than actual cravings if that makes sense. But if I think too long I do remember the acid heartburn, stained teeth and bad choices which soon brings me back to sober reality.
S x
Exactly what Sazzle said. I was a big wine drinker too and from about 7:00PM until I passed out were dangerous parts of the evening for me when I first quit. Like Anna said, the best thing is to find something else to do with that time. For me it was yoga and AA meetings but I also would just drive around for hours aimlessly listening to music. I also developed a bit of a shopping habit (which I do not recommend) and spent a lot of time visiting the bulk food section in the grocery store (another non-recommended activity but better than the liquor store).

Point is just get yourself out of the house or wherever you associate drinking wine with. Try to distract yourself completely and, if able, exhaust yourself through exercise or something else.

My cravings let up about a month in and really reduced at about six weeks. Still, I have had moments of being caught at home during that time and almost absently going for the cabinet that used to hold the bottle. So vigilance is key but, yes, the cravings let up for sure.

And you're going to feel so much better---believe me. And you'll look better too.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

The cravings will pass with time. The more u think about it, the more power u give it. Drink coffee/tea & eat some sweets. Go to a mtg or 2 a day & read/study the big bk
We r here for u