Notices

Anti-Procrastination Station

Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Anti-Procrastination Station

Hi, all.

I'm not sure where's the right place for this thread, so I've decided to post it here. Sorry, Dee, for giving you extra job with removing this thread to where it belongs).

The point is that I am sick and tired of my procrastination. And back to my "wining" days it went hand in hand with my addiction. I procrastinated - didn't do what I had to - felt miserable - drank. One of patterns.

My procrastination springs from the vast dark whirlpool of perfectionism, doubts, fears. I'm fighting it every day. I procrastinate about every minute decision and it wears me out!

E.g., right now I procrastinate about shopping for groceries because I haven't made a list with calculations to stick to. And I have to keep under strict control my expenses, and if I go without a list, I will spend more... Ok, you got the idea...

Does anyone else suffer from this "quiet inner passive-aggressive monster"?

Feel free to post what you are procrastinating about.

Let's fight it together!

Best wishes to all.

Have a great procrastination-free day)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I procrastinate a lot. But I'm no where near as bad as when I was drinking, where i'd put off anything I could so I could drink instead. Currently my garden is overgrown, grass, weeds, hedges. I didn't do anything in my garden at all in 2012. It's really embarrassing but I still haven't brought my self to do it yet. I'm going to do it in chunks. and reward my self with a bluray for each little bit I get done. So hopefully by this time next week, the postman will be able to walk down my path without having to fight hedge.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Thanks for the post. I know Procrastination is a part of my addictive/ Pleasure seeking-pain avoidance part of my brain. I avoid Short term pain by at the expense of creating larger problems down the road. Eliminate the booze and I'm better, but the procrastination inclination is still there. Maybe there are some CBT worksheet on the web somewhere; going to check and I post my findings here. For me at least it has to do with stress triggers and getting away from them.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Maybe there are some CBT worksheet on the web somewhere; going to check and I post my findings here
Good idea, ElegantlyWasted! Thank you)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I procrastinate as well.....does not serve me well, when trying to live in the present of the moment !

I still keep trying anyway !

Cindy
Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, big time procrastinator her. I even procrastinate about procrastinating.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yep Im a big procrastinator too. im actually procrastinating right now, theres things i need to do but i need to vent a little and your thread caught my interest lol.
i am such a procrastinator that in the past, i researched whether procrastination could be considered a disease, like ocd or adhd, because some procrastination could reeally affect your life,
so much that you couldnt hold a job for lack of poor time management and meeting deadlines.... or even getting to work on time...
like maybe it could be a disability?!
but that was a few years ago and im not going to start thinking like that again lol
one thing that has really helped me is that i got a job as a bus driver so i HAVE to be there at a certain time, or alllllll those kids, and the school will be waiting on me, and we cant have that lol.
i do run right to the minute though, im never early. ever ughh
glad im not the only one thanks!!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Here we go... Found some stuff. The "Task Master Worksheet" on the bottom right looks pretty good... Think I'm going to work this into the other stuff I'm doing. Thanks again to The OP for bringing this issue up...
Specialty Behavioral Health » Downloadable Cognitive Behavioral Therapy PDFs
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with this too! Definitely a carryover that I didn't have before the alcohol that is sticking with me.

thanks EW!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you for the worksheet, EW!

It's interesting to see difficulty of tasks as "predicted" and "actual".

I feel like it's time to tackle this time-stealer.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
My procrastination springs from the vast dark whirlpool of perfectionism, doubts, fears.
YES! I am in a world of $hit (another Full Metal Jacket reference!) financially right now because I've put off getting serious about job hunting for MONTHS out of the aforementioned fear and perfectionism and doubts and other BS. Miserable and self-destructive. Kind of like another habit we have in common.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The things that are absolutely essential, they get done.

The things I am passionate about, they get done.

Everything else....probably gets put off, and I beat myself up about it. What a futile waste of energy. Like my first two examples prove, if it was important, I'd do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I completely understand where you are coming from, MidnightBlue. I am a procrastinator of epic proportions, have been my whole adult life, much much worse, of course, since my drinking got completely out of control. Like Easyrider, I have not attended to my yard/garden in at least a couple of years. I have not sent in my tax return on time for at least three years, because I can't make myself get to the mess of papers.
It's day 7 for me and I have actually cleared a pile off my desk, and should be able to get my tax return in by the end of the week.
Yes, I'm a perfectionist too, ever so slightly OCD, so it's an "all or nothing" phenomenon with me.

However, I'm working on accepting "good enough" behaviour/actions; at least there is forward movement this way.
Also, I read here, and I'm sorry i can't remember who said it\the source, this saying: "progress, not perfection". I say it to myself like a mantra, over and over, when tasks, or decision making begin to overwhelm me. It is helping.
Bottom line, I guess, don't be too hard on yourself!
Good enough is good enough!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Procrastination is the worst problem I have. Anybody know how to solve that problem please post quickly. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Anybody know how to solve that problem please post quickly.
I've got a solution...I just haven't implemented it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Procrastination is the worst problem I have. Anybody know how to solve that problem please post quickly. Thanks for the info.
We all know how to solve the procrastination problem. Just do it. Been putting off washing your car? Wash your car. Need to look for a job? Look for a job. Been meaning to ask that hot babe out for coffee? Ask the hot babe out for coffee. (Sorry it took me so long to post.)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am the worst at procrastinating! I am really trying to deal with this.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear what you are saying.....I do the same thing. Then I go on to doing the most important thing first....one by one !

Raku
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This post is too crazy!! I came here to talk about the exact same thing, and I saw your post the second one down! Weird, and ElagentlyWasted has provided a tool. Nice.

I have 2 weeks. Normally to start anything I have a drink. Wether it is cleaning my place, making a large purchase, starting an art project, or a writing project. My procrastination is at a level that I am not sure other procrastinators know about. I DO NOT DO ANYTHING. No work. I avoid making any decisions, doing any cleaning, going to the gym, starting anything new, making phone calls. So I do literally nothing, but got get coffee, drive around and hang out with a few people, and watch tv. The only thing I have been good at is not drinking these last 2 weeks, but I am not moving forward.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Did the title of this thread make anyone else think of the Schoolhouse Rock song "Conjunction Junction"? You know, the kids show from way back?

Never mind. Carry on.