Notices

Needing support

Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing support

Hey everyone, I decided to join up to this forum today for some support, and also for the opportunity to support others, as I have learned a fair bit about my personal struggles. I had been 6 months clean and sober, but had a two day binge... trying for it to not get me too down, I am over that and looking onward and upward, but it keeps happening! I have yet to get past the 6-8 month mark, but all in all have made so much progress from where I was a few years back.
I just feel the need for other people in my life who are in the same boat as me, as all my friends (including my brother) I feel I need to walk away from, which may have been the trigger for my relapse... this is hard for me and I don't know what to do.
Thank you all for reading and it feels great to have signed up.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR jahmez

why do you think you can't make sobriety a permanent thing?

D
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what it was this time, as last time, and the time prior, I had assured myself of the conclusion that I DON'T want to drink/use, I DON'T NEED to, it is no good for me, and even one drink is a recipe for disaster.
Then it's like the real me is on a holiday break (momentarily), and this other guy comes in who doesn't care at all! I am aware of this happening, but before I know it, I have done the deed, had the first drink... I am tired of the relapses, I know it is all me and all my responsibility, and I don't want another, but I was almost sure I knew that already. I don't seem to be able to walk away from some of my friends either, maybe I fear the loneliness ?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Jahmez. Welcome to SR!

You found the great place to get and share support, encouragement, and helpful info.

Reading and posting here helped me immensely to keep in line.

Stick here, post as often as you can. It often helps just to share your feelings or vent out.

Do you have some plan for recovery? Something to keep you busy and distract from thinking about loneliness and drinking. I found it's crucial to keep mind occupied to fight boredom and cravings.

Keep posting and best wishes on the sober journey)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks
I am heading out to stay in a Buddhist monastery for 20 days, which I think will help me come to terms with my latest slip up. Then about a week after that I am headed for a 3month adventure in Thailand. I think partly one of the justifications I used for my recent relapse was saying that if I drink now, then the temptation wont be as strong when overseas, I think that was ********, but then again, I am so, so determined to get back on track and stay that way, that maybe it was a good eye opener. It feels good to talk about these things.
Thanks everyone