Notices

Help w/Synthetic

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help w/Synthetic

I'm very new to this site. I hope I can get some helpful feed back. Can someone give me some information on how to get "free" help for my boys to come off that Synthetic Weed? I have no insurance because we cannot afford it and we do not qualify for any kind of assistance.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Geeze, I have heard that stuff is nasty. They could go to NA for free..if they need something inpatient, they might benefit from contacting your local Salvation Army. I don't know enough about it really to understand what the potential 'treatment' would be outside of what seems to help with addiction in general.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree - NA is free, check your local phonebook or do a web search. Many communities have low cost or free alcohol/drug abuse assistance offices that can help with anything from counseling to rehab to detox. Are your sons actively seeking help and trying to quit?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My 21 yr old does not want help. He insists he has no problem. My 16 yr old finally said he is willing to go to rehab. Even if it's an inpatient center. It's hard. My oldest son--all he does is cough now. I keep asking him to let me help him, he's wasting his young life away. Barely wakes up, doesn't show up for work. What's NA? Narcotics Anonymous?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, NA stand for Narcotics Anonymous. That is great that your younger sone is seeking help, having said that he will need to make the decision for himself to quit - you cannot force him to do so. Same for your older son, you can be supportive of him and help him find resources to quit but only he can actually do it. I wish you the best of luck, don't forget there are also groups like AL-Anon for family members of those with addictions - as well as the family and friends section right here on SR.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup. NA = Narcotics Anonymous. If the younger brother goes in for some help, maybe the 21 year old might reconsider? It's a hopeful thought anyway. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For these NA meetings, are they for teens as well?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by katt361 View Post
For these NA meetings, are they for teens as well?
There are specific groups of AA and NA for teens as well in many areas. Call your local AA or NA hotline and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ty so so much. Been a great help. I hope all crap gets banned for good.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well.. My younger son is still using. I still don't know what to do. Still have no insurance to send him to rehab. I feel helpless.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Salvation Army offers free rehab to anyone who wants it.

Check with your local Salvation Army.

And, as others said, NA is available and free.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ty so so much. Been a great help. I hope all crap gets banned for good.
It's all been banned In the US... I did a paper on it before it was made illegal at all... Their nasty drugs and worse than the real stuff honestly
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jstanthrgrl31 View Post
It's all been banned In the US... I did a paper on it before it was made illegal at all... Their nasty drugs and worse than the real stuff honestly
Actually, only five out of 500 known synthetic cannabinoid compounds have been banned in the U.S. Three new ones have just been added to the temporary list by the DEA this month. That means that as the government bans specific compounds, the manufacturers will simply change chemicals and this problem will be around for a long time.

This is a pretty informative recent article that discusses these substances (be sure to read all 3 pages):

Synthetic Marijuana: What Is It? | Popular Science
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlieNoogan View Post

Actually, only five out of 500 known synthetic cannabinoid compounds have been banned in the U.S. Three new ones have just been added to the temporary list by the DEA this month. That means that as the government bans specific compounds, the manufacturers will simply change chemicals and this problem will be around for a long time.

This is a pretty informative recent article that discusses these substances (be sure to read all 3 pages):

Synthetic Marijuana: What Is It? | Popular Science
Thank you I will look at in later today I'm working atm.... I knew when I did the research that it all a matter of a change of a molecule to make a new drug
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Angry

I agree that it is just a nasty harmful drug. It's actually potpourri. Thank y'all for your posts and links. I will read up on it on my lunch Charlie. Jstanthrgrl31 will you put the link to your article? There has actually been 1-2 stores raided where I live. The main suppliers got off with a warning due to them cooperating. Wow is all I can say. And yes a couple of them have been banned, but the manufactures are real slick... They keep changing the ingredients so that they can continue to sell. There was actually a special on this synthetic marijuana on the show Katie. She had that teen from Houston that almost lost her life on the show. She's come a long way, but that drug nearly took her life. I fear for my children and all ppl that are inhaling this crap. I tried posting a link to read her article, but I do not have enough posts. Just google Emily Bauer is y'all intrested.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree that it is just a nasty harmful drug. It's actually potpourri. Thank y'all for your posts and links. I will read up on it on my lunch Charlie. Jstanthrgrl31 will you put the link to your article? There has actually been 1-2 stores raided where I live. The main suppliers got off with a warning due to them cooperating. Wow is all I can say. And yes a couple of them have been banned, but the manufactures are real slick... They keep changing the ingredients so that they can continue to sell. There was actually a special on this synthetic marijuana on the show Katie. She had that teen from Houston that almost lost her life on the show. She's come a long way, but that drug nearly took her life. I fear for my children and all ppl that are inhaling this crap. I tried posting a link to read her article, but I do not have enough posts. Just google Emily Bauer is y'all intrested.
My paper is not a published paper I'm a BSN student and it was for my policies and politics class
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh ok. That's great. And ty anyway. Good luck and god bless.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

See the fact they are listed as "potpourri" and "bath salt" intended for other uses is how they got them through to people... Thy can't list them as drugs and they all had warnings not for human consumption. They did what they were suppose to but they were always intended for human consumption but these "chemist" did go through the trial process to see what the side effects were and now it's more highly addictive that pot or cocaine are them selves and it make the users agitated hallucinating violent at times and no one to control them it's scary to see
Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes.. My oldest gets very aggitated, my younges all he does is sleep. Literally...SLEEP. Will wake up just to shower, maybe eat a little, then back to sleep. He has admitted to being addicted to it after just a few months. I'm also worried about the long term affect it will have them.... God willing they can come clean from it.