Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Secular and Sober: Beating Alcoholism without AA

Ran across this video on youtube, thought it might be appreciated here:

Secular and Sober: Beating Alcoholism Without AA - YouTube
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I found that video during my first week sober and after what would be my last AA meeting almost two years ago. I see that it has had only 56K views. I believe that many could benefit from it, so goodonya for posting the link.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I watched this yesterday and appreciate you posting it.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for this, as someone who is trying to quit and wants to avoid AA.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The video isn't really about recovery without AA, it's more about atheism. And I have no problem with that, but it doesn't really point the way to an alternative method other than mentioning SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety) at the end of the video.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess it's all in one's perspective.

I do not identify as an atheist. I do however agree with her that I am NOT powerless over alcohol nor do I have to turn my will and life over to the care of God, as I understand him, in order to stop drinking.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
I guess it's all in one's perspective.
I think I was expecting more information on alternatives, so I was a little disappointed. Frankly, AA and the 12-steps are so persuasive and so ingrained in North American culture that I crave quality information on recovery alternatives. The video left me wanting much more information.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you looked into Rational Recovery/AVRT? There are plenty of threads right here in Secular Connections and you can also google it and take the crash course.

How about SMART or Lifering?

I used the 12 step RGM for 8 years and it never sat right with me. Even though I didn't drink for 13 years I eventually picked up and drank for another five years before finding this forum and learning about RR/AVRT. It was with AVRT that everything fell into place.

What are you doing to not drink at this time?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've looked into AVRT and SMART. I used techniques from both. And SR has been a big help. Right now I'm basically just not drinking.

I'm a binge drinker, so stopping isn't too much of an issue. But staying stopped is a problem.

And I've not ruled out AA or a 12-step program. I'm an agnostic, not an atheist, so I do have a spiritual side. But steps 1 and 2 are problematic for me. For one I don't believe I'm powerless, and believing a power greater than myself will restore me to sanity is something I would struggle with. But I do like the idea of meeting with people going through the same issues.

But I'll work it out, of that I have no doubt. My biggest hurdler is seeing a life without ever drinking. You see, I often see myself as I was 7 years ago, when I was able to control myself when I drank. Unfortunately, those days are gone, so I stopping for good is the my best option.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted the video; it could be helpful for many people. I'm a complete non-theist in the Hitchens/Dennett/Dawkins/Harris mold. When I finally got disgusted enough with my drinking to do something about it I was prepared to do AA. But I never got that far, because I discovered AVRT. My last drink was seven months ago almost to the day. So far, I have no reason to consider AA, but I'm a big believer in doing whatever it takes to quit. If AA works for you, awesome! Do whatever you need to do to quit.

But atheism is a huge part of my self identity. Or rather, a naturalistic worldview is important to me. I'm a Bright and a non-drinker!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Takin5, you are FANTASTIC. Another powerful tool to use to stay sober. Thank you so much.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
My biggest hurdler is seeing a life without ever drinking. You see, I often see myself as I was 7 years ago, when I was able to control myself when I drank. Unfortunately, those days are gone, so I stopping for good is the my best option.
I never experienced, "controlled drinking". From my first drink in my mid teens I was an all or nothing drinker. So, in a way, back in my teens and 20's I guess I was a binge drinker.

As I got a bit older I didn't go out much and only drank at home alone. If I did go out with others to dinner or an event I would not drink even if those with me were getting tanked. And, if I was away visiting for a week or two I didn't drink. It was my dirty little secret.

It's a personal journey but I believe for the most part a lot of us had (or ended up having) a lot of the same feelings after drinking excessively. Shame, guilt, anxiety, fear, self disgust, remorse....
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
As I got a bit older I didn't go out much and only drank at home alone. If I did go out with others to dinner or an event I would not drink even if those with me were getting tanked. And, if I was away visiting for a week or two I didn't drink. It was my dirty little secret.

It's a personal journey but I believe for the most part a lot of us had (or ended up having) a lot of the same feelings after drinking excessively. Shame, guilt, anxiety, fear, self disgust, remorse....
I identify with these statements completely.

Thanks for posting the video - I do believe in God but I need to believe that I am in the driver's seat in my recovery or it doesn't work for me. AVRT has been life changing in that regard.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what to believe. But, I do believe it is best for me to stay sober and AVRT sure makes it easy.