Notices

my triggers

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

my triggers

I was just sitting here by the river , trying to just take in the beauty. It's a trigger. I used to sit in this same spot , near my dealer, waiting for a text back. The center floor in my van is a trigger. I usually dumped a little there to take a hit and usually there are crumbs there. The way I drove to get here is a trigger. It's the same way I drove to get some. So much to do and even more to try to forget. Enjoy your day, sober
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
I was just sitting here by the river , trying to just take in the beauty. It's a trigger. I used to sit in this same spot , near my dealer, waiting for a text back. The center floor in my van is a trigger. I usually dumped a little there to take a hit and usually there are crumbs there. The way I drove to get here is a trigger. It's the same way I drove to get some. So much to do and even more to try to forget. Enjoy your day, sober
I used to go to a certain spot in Florida near the Gulf and just drink and drink and drink, so I decided to make a new memory there. I took my AA sponsor there after about 9 mo sober and did my 5th step there. It is where I released all the deep dark secrets of my life with my sponsor. Now I have a positive memory of being there. It's the place where I got honest!

In the beginning though I found it wise to avoid all old - people, places and things having to do with my using, even to the point of taking a new route to avoid driving past old bars or drug dealers homes.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Rick.... Your honesty shines through. That's a key ingredient for staying clean.

I actually... Am sitting in the sun on my porch. A trigger. Sunny warm days high are intoxicating.

But I was recently reminded that sunny warm days high on the smell of the air and the sense of being are also a high.

Say hello often today sir.

Ken
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my triggers are everything- being on my laptop (drinking wine), watching dvd's/tv (drinking wine), listening to music (drinking wine)..........everything. just gotta try my best...........today is day 1 sober- after drinking 2 bottles of wine yesterday and feeling just awful today.........i keep failing but im gonna just keep trying.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Riky you've already solved half the equation which is to recognize your triggers! You need to move forward now and avoid those triggers at all costs. At least in early recovery, make sure to drive different routes, don't visit any places where your brain relates to using or pre-using. These simple little changes can increase your chances to stay sober 10 fold!

You may think it's impossible to avoid your triggers but I managed to isolate myself from anything containing the color of bright orange for my first few months of sobriety. It can be done!

Keep posting and being honest, I'm rooting for ya
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used at home, so there's no way around that trigger because I can't move. I purged my "office" of all my bongs, pipes, lighters etc. started reading in other rooms and, moved my laptop wireless. My office is still a complete mess full of dust & paper to recycle. One of these days I'm going to clean it top to bottom, open the windows and let the sun shine in.