Freedom from Compulsive Disorders

Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Thank you for keeping me straight yesterday. Please help me stay straight today.
—paraphrased from Alcoholics Anonymous

When I first began my recovery from codependency, I was furious about having to begin another recovery program. Seven years earlier, I had begun recovery from chemical dependency. It didn't seem fair that one person should have to address two major issues in one lifetime.

I've gotten over my anger. I've learned that my recoveries aren't isolated from one another. Many of us recovering from codependency and adult children issues are also recovering from addictions: alcoholism, other drug dependency, gambling, food, work, or sex addiction. Some of us are trying to stay free of other compulsive disorders - ranging from caretaking to compulsively feeling miserable, guilty, or ashamed.

An important part of codependency recovery is staying clean and free of our compulsive or addictive behaviors. Recovery is one big room we've entered called healthy living.

We can wave the white flag of surrender to all our addictions. We can safely turn to a Power greater than ourselves to relieve us of our compulsive behavior. We know that now. Once we begin actively working a program of recovery, God will relieve us of our addictions. Ask God each morning to help us stay free of our addictions and compulsions. Thank God for helping us the day before.

Today, God, help me pay attention to all my recovery issues. Help me know that before I can work on the finer points of my recovery, such as my relationships, I must be free of addictive behaviors.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Part of my codependency is the inability to say "no" sometimes when I mean yes, or to say "enough". I can overload my plate and then live on lists and schedules and organizational charts until my whole day is planned moment by moment...and look out if I hit a snag in my "plan".

Recovery has taught me to only take on what I can handle, to keep a balance between work and play. It has taught me to throw away my list some days and just be spontaneous. How hard that can be for a "planner" like me...and I cannot just "plan" to be spontaneous, I have to really let go and let life take me through the day.

Codependency is an obsessive disorder where our thinking gets stuck where it doesn't belong, thinking we can control someone or their addictions. Healthy people may give it a good shot and then move one. Codies like me can obsess 24 hours a day struggling with what is not mine to control.

Today I will be spontaneous...well, after the washer repairman leaves...and just let the day lead me. It's a lovely sunny day, so I am throwing away the list and just going to show up and let life happen.

Hugs