On the Beam / Off the Beam

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

On the Beam / Off the Beam

Staying on the Beam

Today most commercial flying is done on a radio beam. A directional beam is produced to guide the pilot to his destination, and as long as he keeps on this beam he knows that he is safe, even if he cannot see around him for fog, or get his bearings in any other way.

As soon as he gets off the beam in any direction he is in danger, and he immediately tries to get back on to the beam once more.

Those who believe in the All-ness of God, have a spiritual beam upon which to navigate on the voyage of life. As long as you have peace of mind and some sense of the Presence of God you are on the beam, and you are safe, even if outer things seem to be confused or even very dark; but as soon as you get off the beam you are in danger.

You are off the beam the moment you are angry or resentful or jealous or frightened or depressed; and when such a condition arises you should immediately get back on the beam by turning quietly to God in thought, claiming His Presence, claiming that His Love and Intelligence are with you, and that the promises in the Bible are true today.

If you do this you are back on the beam, even if outer conditions and your own feelings do not change immediately. You are back on the beam and you will reach port in safety.

Keep on the beam and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

- - Emmet Fox

================

Below is the typical OTB List found at many AA / Alanon Sites . . .

These are handy for checking yourself, through the day.

Sort of like Dashboard Gauges or Lights for me.

Side-by-side they pretty much match up as opposites.

===============

ON THE BEAM

Honesty
Faith
Considerate
Humility
Giving
Calm
Grateful
Patience
Tolerance
Forgiveness
Love
Self-Forgetfulness
Humility
Modesty
Self-Forgiveness
Trust
Moderation
Action
Acceptance*
Courage*

==============

OFF THE BEAM

Dishonest
Fear
Inconsiderate
Pride
Greedy
Anger
Envy
Impatient
Intolerant
Resentment
Hate
Self-Pity
Self-Justification
Self-Importance
Self-Condemnation
Suspicion
Gluttony
Sloth
Rejection*
Frightened*

==============

*From longer list, in some sources.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beaming Breakfast.

So with this list in mind, we just had a Beaming Breakfast. Me and the kids with our home cooked Blueberry Muffins. Mrs. Hammer is off to T this morning -- a good thing, very good indeed. As the wiser elder ladies of Alanon tell me -- "Don't you worry, honey. All you need to know is everything is right where it should be right now." Amen.

At any rate, was cleaning the desk while the muffins were baking and found my OTB list I put together from the first time I chaired an Alanon meeting a couple of months ago. (took me 4 years. So happy I final made it). Our daughter seen the list and we all sat down to chat the list through for breakfast. Worked great. Our 5 year old kept asking for explanations of what each word mean, so we got to dig in deep.

Makes me think of another of the Alanon promises -- Even if the Alcoholic is still drinking, your household can still be 1/2 better when You (me) work (y)our program.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like an amazing breakfast, Hammer. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Listening to the back seat.

Was driving our 10 year old daughter to and from Ice Skating today, with brothers, 8 and 5 along.

We do the boys' homework together while she does her skating.

Some days real battles erupt back there in the back seat, so I half keep an ear on them while driving.

I heard something about "beam" from the 5 year old and the other two start laughing and laughing. 5 year old was laughing along, too.

I asked what they were going on about. The 5 year old said that was saying the "He Is The Most On The Beam." The other two (and him) were laughing because Pride is one of the things Off The Beam, and Humility would be On The Beam.

They get it. They really, really get it. Made for a mighty happy (Proud? egad) Daddy Hammer, let me tell you. We had some Beaming Ice Cream when we got home to celebrate.

Some days you just have to plant the seeds and let God do His work.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, thank you! I've printed it off and is hanging on my wall.

Oh, and I L_O_V_E Blueberry muffins! YUMMY!

C-OH Dad