Notices

Weekend looming

Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend looming

Hello fellow Sobrietons
Its Friday morning in Australia and coming up is my 4th weekend of sobriety. On Sunday it will be 4 weeks for me woohooo.
Weekends always pose a challenge and i keep myself occupied by going to the gym, going for a run and catching up on all the things i put off whilst i was too busy drinking over the years. There is lots for me to do!
I had a bit of a bad day yesterday where i was grumpy and depressed but i have woken up this morning feeling better.
I have to start thinking about how i am going to start mixing with my friends and acquaintances moving forward. They are all big drinkers but I cant keep rejecting invitations to catch up just to avoid the alcohol issue. I do need to face this! I think i will leave it another week or so just to make sure i have built enough strength and get a little more sober time under my belt. I am running out of excuses with them all!
Anyway bring on the weekend. Have a fantastic day everyone
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats! I don't put myself in situations I don't feel comfortable in. I was very vigilant, especially in the beginning. You do what is best for you, not what is best for everyone else.

I literally had to change people, places and things when I quit drinking. But that is just me. Some people do fine in these social situations. I know for me, I am just not ready to be around big drinkers, bars or parties.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I blew sobriety twice now, because i put myself in situations where i was "catching up with friends" and they were drinking heavily. I eventually caved because it felt right. Just like old times. Next time I plan to suggest catching up over lunch or coffee, or a shooting range, someplace where no one would even think about drinking. Like the other posters said, might think about changing meeting places.

Good luck, and congrats on all those sober days!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LadyinBC took the words right out of my mouth. Until I felt solid in my recovery, I stayed away from all drinking situations. Quite frankly, I didn't trust myself.

Congratulations Pedro...keep up the great work.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
I blew sobriety twice now, because i put myself in situations where i was "catching up with friends" and they were drinking heavily. I eventually caved because it felt right. Just like old times. Next time I plan to suggest catching up over lunch or coffee, or a shooting range, someplace where no one would even think about drinking. Like the other posters said, might think about changing meeting places.

Good luck, and congrats on all those sober days!
Maybe not a shooting range whilst i am battling recovery hahaha. I get the idea though thanks heaps for the advice
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opivotal View Post
LadyinBC took the words right out of my mouth. Until I felt solid in my recovery, I stayed away from all drinking situations. Quite frankly, I didn't trust myself.

Congratulations Pedro...keep up the great work.
I have a 21st to attend next weekend (i am expected to go) and i am literally terrified of going. I Just don't know how to tackle it yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If your honest with people I don't think the peer pressure works anymore since we are adults and people should relate on what you say. Maybe people will say you don't have a problem or no way that's not you. But you can be real and say yes that is me and I can't drink anymore. If you have a family or kids and you are doing this for them and yourself just always have a back up plan if you think your going to drink and just leave. Even if it is a lie. Hey I don't have a lot of drinking friends so just take it one step at a time. Good luck Pedro and remember keep coming back and posting. Your doing great my friend.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pedro, nothing says you have to stay if things get tricky for you. Have a back up plan in place if you decide to attend.

Would you be expected to go if you were ill Pedro? If I was as nervous as you are...no way I would put myself in that position.

It's really your decision, I wish you the best whatever choice you make.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opivotal View Post
Pedro, nothing says you have to stay if things get tricky for you. Have a back up plan in place if you decide to attend.

Would you be expected to go if you were ill Pedro? If I was as nervous as you are...no way I would put myself in that position.

It's really your decision, I wish you the best whatever choice you make.
Thanks Opivotal- I have a week to make up my mind so i wont worry about it for now too much. 1 day at a time as they say
Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pedro I sympathise. I have friends coming to my house tomorrow for dinner and I can not cancel it as they live abroad and I have not seen them for a long time. As you said one day at a time. I need to get through Friday before I start worrying about Saturday!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Had my dinner guests and I stayed on the fruit juice despite them drinking loads. It was lovely to see them again but as the night progressed I realised what rubbish people talk when they are drunk and that could so easily have been me. I was so happy to go to bed last night sober and woke early this morning and enjoyed my day hangover free.