in love with an addict

Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in love with an addict

I live in Montreal and I'm originally from Halifax. I've been dating my boyfriend, Eric, for 3 years, and for the past 2 years he has been struggling with his addiction to pot, alcohol, LSD and mushrooms - I have done everything within my power to try to help him. He almost flunked out of school twice so I convinced him to do the paper work and get a signature from his doctor to get an academic withdrawl for his mental illness. I've communicated with his mother for awhile about how to handle this and she has set him up with a therapist. The problem is, is that he doesn't inititiate seeking his own help - so he never succeeds in getting more 'clean' because his passive about taking advantage of the help thats there for him. In fact most of the time we have fights about him making a genuine effort to get clean. It's just been getting worse and worse. I've told my mother and she wants me to come home to Halifax and take a break from Eric for the summer. I know its the right decision but I hate living in Halifax and I hate that I can't see Eric for the whole summer because of this. He generalized anxiety disorder and his an addict but his also alot more and we both love eachother - again i know this is the right decision but it really hurts.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Those are my husband's favorite substances too...mixed sometimes with whatever prescription pills he can get his hands on at times too.

I agree with your mom that it would be good for you to be away from Eric for the summer.

And I agree with you that it will be hard, but that you also know it's for the best.

You're seeing how you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Eric is going to have to want to help himself just as all of us have to do our best to "let go and let God" when it comes to our loved ones helping themselves too.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm really glad you found this site. There's a wealth of support and education to be had here and I hope you'll continue to come back and make use of it.

We're all in this together. ((hugs))
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for your thoughts and your sympathy shinebright, after being on this website for only half an hr and reading about others esperiences I feel more aware and grounded.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi. keep reading. the sticky's at the top of the page are great but so is every story here. after much reading, you will understand more and know how you want to proceed. i am new as well. it is heartbreaking, i know, we all do. this site has helped me more than i can tell you.