Just wanted to introduce myself with my story.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to introduce myself with my story.

I don't know how my story will be received and I am not sure why I want to tell it possibly some type of closure for me I am just not sure. 13 years ago I met the love of my life. We were both in college and I knew when I met her she was my soul mate. I had never in my life seen anything more clearly. In thirteen years we have both had success in our careers and built a loving home for my daughters. My oldest daughter is now married to a wonderful man and we have 3 beautiful grandchildren. We were there when the first two were born and have been so blessed by watching them grow. My youngest daughter is in her third year of college and doing wonderful. We have a wonderful life with a wonderful family and so many things to be thankful for.

The first 11 years we hardly ever had cross words and I mean ever!! It is hard to believe but so true. She went through a drinking stage early on but nothing to bothersome. I also knew her childhood was not great but she seemed to cope very well.

About 2 1/2 years ago our oldest daughter moved to another state with her husband and the bottom feel out of life as I knew it. I knew she was struggling with the kids being gone so I encouraged her to she a professional about how to deal with them being gone and also may be to deal with some things from her childhood.

Therapy did go well. I am not sure why. About that time synthetic marijuana came on to the market and she tried it. It has been down hill ever since. She stopped for about 8 months but is now back on it. I cannot believe how much it has changed the person she is. It is like living with a stranger. I have read a lot about addiction and I understand all the support and love I can give her won't change the fact that she is an addict.

In January she over dosed in anxiety meds and came very close to dying. It was the hardest thing I had ever been through. To watch someone you love lay in a hospital bed unconscious while they try to rid her body of all the toxins. It was very traumatic. I thought surely this would be her rock bottom but sadly I was wrong.

I have made the choice to move on with my life. I have told her I wish her all the happiness in the world but it is best for both of us to move on. She can either get help or live her life as an addict. For the health of myself my girls and grandchildren and family in general it is just time to end our relationship.

My family has given her all the love and support we can possibly give her but the fact is we can't make her want to change. We cannot fight for her when she does not fight for herself.

I have never dealt with addiction in my life and now that I am I see that my story is not so different and many people deal with this for many years.

I am fortunate that I have a very supportive family and I also know that God has a plan for me and will see me through this.

As I read through the many articles and post on this sight I gain more insight into my situation and I am so thankful I found it.

I am thankful I found a place I can tell my story where people understand what I am going through. I hope to be able to use this sight as my journey continues for information and support.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...and know that you are not alone.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

so sorry for what you are going through. read everything you can here. each story is unique but also similar. it has given me tremendous insight in the short time i have been here. very supportive group with a wealth of knowledge. i had no experience with true addictions before either. i am thankful i found this forum when i did!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nana,

All I could do is offer my pray to you and your family right now. And yes God does have a plan for you and for all of us. I hope you see the light at the end of the tunnle soon.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers go out to you - what a heart breaking chapter in your life....
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Welcome to SR but as always I am sorry for what brings you here. Thank you for sharing your ES&H (experience, strength and hope) with all of us. Your courage and strength is very inspiring. God Bless!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR this is a great place to learn from other's experiences and to vent about the frustrations and emotional ups and downs that come with loving an addict.

You seem to have reached your breaking point with dealing with the chaos and although this is a painful time, you are doing what is best for YOU and that is important.

We can't make an addict want recovery, all we can do is set healthy boundaries and choose not to have addiction turn our lives upside down. It sounds like you have a lot of positives in your life, and it is important not to lose sight of all the great things in your life.

Keep taking care of yourself. She has chosen getting high about everything and you can decide to put yourself and your family first.