Notices

PAWS sucks!!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS sucks!!

How long does your post acute withdrawal symptoms last?

I was telling my therapist how I was feeling and everything I said was PAWS. It's only been two weeks for me and, yes, they get worse with every relapse but I really just want to peel my skin off. How do you deal with these symptoms?

Exercise works but I can't go for an all-day walk. I have gone to huge suckers now instead of ice cream.

I feel like I am going out of my mind.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

It can last days, weeks, even up to a year or more. It's different for everyone.

Exercise definitely helps me, as does meditation.

Do whatever works for you to combat it and try to remember that it WILL stop eventually. Don't let it get the best of you.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Paws starts after the initial detoxing, which can take 30 days or so. Some of what you are feeling at 2 weeks of sobriety is just detoxing in general. You'll know when the PAWS shows up!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Its not how long it lasts,but how long it bothers you!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In treatment we were told be ready for the
"Recovery Rollercoaster"

for several months, but being aware of it, at least gets you to the front of the ride & a better idea of what is to come!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Just know that it all will pass in time and that it is a sign that you are healing!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marcher

Pattyj,
Ugh! PAWS! I know it sucks! I'm in its grasp too. I'm at almost 7 weeks, and it has been getting better. Still some days of feeling tired, unmotivated, restless, depressed but it's milder, manageable! And I am having some very awesome days! Energy, happiness, excitement, contentment. It happens!
The best thing I did was read up all I could about PAWS in my initial days. I wasn't taken by surprise and I'm just letting myself flow in it. Ride the waves. It's working. Go with it!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pattyj, yes PAWS sucks big time! I am at 12 weeks today and still have episodes, mainly fatigue and lack of motivation. However, I know that each episode that I get through takes me one step closer to getting through this. As with the physical aspects of detox, PAWS is something that we each have to get through to reach our goal of sobriety. The good news is that it does get easier with time, practice and patience. Hang in there, the light at the end of the tunnel is freedom and it can only transform into a train if you pick up that first drink!