Notices

mother and father of an alcoholic

Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mother and father of an alcoholic

I am new to this so please forgive me if I do something in ignorance. My son is 35 and has been hospitalized 5 times in the last 18 months for alcohol abuse. The doctors have told him that his body can not handle the alcohol and he has developed pancreatitus, diverticulitis, and CHF. I am so fearful that he will die before he commits to stopping the drinking. We are trying to be there for him but he is very angry at everyone, and in denial of his problem. I just thought if I talked with someone it might help me not to respond to his anger, but it is difficult not to do that.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear about your son Pemf0001. There is a subforum here for family and friends of alcoholics you may find some solace in by hearing from others in the same situation as you are. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for your son, he has to decide to accept help and stop drinking on his own. As much as it hurts, you may need to just walk away so he can realize the magnitude of what he is doing to himself and those around him. As crazy as it sounds, that may be the only way to save him.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this Pemf. I don't have children, but I know this must be hard watching your son go through this. I'm sure you feel helpless and that isn't pleasant. I highly suggest reading and posting on the "Family and Friends" section of this site. You will almost certainly find some useful information there.