No WONDER people get addicted

Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No WONDER people get addicted

Just rambling...
So, I pulled a muscle under my rib, and in quite a deal of pain. My doctor prescribed me a muscle relaxer. I know I need to take them to make me feel better, but I certainly don't need 90 of them!! He offered me percocet too, but I told him 800 Motrin would be fine. Glad I don't have an addictive personality!!!
Still don't understand why he gave me 90 muscle relaxers!!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it possible you have a health insurance plan with pharmacy benefits attached to the plan? If so, is it possible there are stipulations requiring the pharmacy to dispense a certain number of the pills at one time per prescription? Were refills written for your prescription? Many changes in our healthcare system in the past 4 years and especially the last 1.5 years have not been for the best and actually over ride many things physicians would or would not normally do. Pharmacy is a huge area of change. Rib pulls are terribly painful!! I feel for you!! You do have the option to only purchase 5, 10, etc. of a prescription when you approach the pharmacist and/or check out. You can also just stick with the Motrin and not use the relaxer at all BUT pulled muscles are horrible, can keep you from normal movement for quite some time and muscle relaxers are proven effective if taken as soon as possible after the pull to greatly increase recovery time. Back to work, back to life, back to having an income, etc..If there are no addiction restrictions or concerns with a patient, on record or stated or suspect or apparent, relaxing the muscle and keeping the patient from pain is the top priority. The excess you do not need can be disposed of appropriately in your area via phone call to the health department for guidelines as to where and how.
I wish you a very speedy recovery from a painful pull!!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That makes a lot of sense Peacedove. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OH MAN, I feel for you on the rib thing!! I pulled a rib muscle on the right side after a bad chest cold in february, OMG it hurt. I still had the cough and it would literally bring me to tears and my knees if I had a bad coughing fit.

I didn't end up going to the doc as I figured the best they would do is give me pain meds like you said, I needed to drive for a project that week so I just popped the motrin/ibuprofen like you and tried to muscle through it.

FYI, it took a solid 3 weeks before I turned a corner, over 2 months out and it still hurts some when I sneeze or move wrong, totally feel for you. I have heard sometimes chiro can help.