Notices

panic attacks

Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

panic attacks

does anyone know why we get them? i had a major one, at least i hope so about 3 weeks ago. that was the reason i stopped drinking, was because i thought a heart attack was in my future if i didnt stop using. now just today i am walking down my stairs calmly and wham, a shooting sharp pain goes up my left chest/shoulder. i am going to call my doctors office and ask them what should i do tomorrow. or if i get them again tonight i am going to the hospital. right now i am staying calm and might even lay down for a bit. these things scare the living daylights out of me and i just need to be reassured that it isnt a major health issue and if it is, what can be done to help me.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you know what to do

Hello,
You mentioned either calling your doctor tomorrow, or getting checked out at the hospital tonight.. it sounds like you are being safe and sensible and I would encourage you to take care of yourself by consulting with a doc just like you posted.

As for the panic attacks, if that is what you are experiencing, IMO, our brains are so used to having our "substance or drug of choice" we actually feel very scared or panicked to be missing them from our systems.

In my experience, I just do some deep breathing techniques in order to calm down... and I also have tried to eliminate as much stress as possible, at least for these early months of recovery. And this works for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah Legend, I would make a Doctors appointment. I never had any sharp pains with a panic attack. More of a racing heart, freaking out, kind of feeling.

Please don't hesitate to use the Emergency Room if you're not feeling better.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

'If' you are sure you're having panic attacks, there are ways to help get through them. I've read many great books on the topic because I have had panic and anxiety attacks since my teens. "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett is a good one. Also Deepak Chopra has lots of information about how to manage a panic attack in his writings.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opivotal View Post
Yeah Legend, I would make a Doctors appointment. I never had any sharp pains with a panic attack. More of a racing heart, freaking out, kind of feeling.

Please don't hesitate to use the Emergency Room if you're not feeling better.
well usually after i feel the pain my anxiety goes crazy and then i get a hot flash, of course the same symptoms that effect the heart are the same as a panic attack