Notices

Messed up

Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messed up

I don't really know where to begin other than by saying that I've screwed up again. I had a phone call about four days ago from a friend in my relapse prevention group who'd fallen off the wagon. I drove straight there and the state she was in shocked me. I tried talking, pleading but she was in no fit state to listen.

How did I handle it? I left her and went straight to buy a drink - I didn't realise how vulnerable I am and how weak I really am. This is now day four and I've reduced drastically today but I feel like my world has ended. Am I destined to die an alcoholic? I hate it - I hate what it's done to me and hate who I am when I drink. I don't know if I have the strength to fight this anymore.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TM75,

We are ALL vulnerable. Ironically, you just told a piece of my "story". I had finished a wearisome day of getting a relapser into a halfway house, it was about 5PM and what did I do? I decided I deserved a drink for all that I had done that day.

That ONE drink led me into pure hell for months, culminating in a rehab.

Go figure. Just know that we must be ever vigilant on a daily basis. It is so easy to get complacent.

You DO have the strength and you must get back on the wagon. What is the alternative: drink yourself to death? Kill yourself? Drive drunk like I did (Fortunately I only acquired a lot of decorations on my license and did not injure anyone.) I plan to thank those arresting officers one of these days.

Get sober again, and we will do this journey together along with all the support here at SR.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear about what you are going through. I drank yesterday after 17 days sober. I don't feel I have a lot of wisdom to share, but just to let you know I am here to listen and support. There are so many good people on here, with a lot of helpful advice. I've had so many nice responses today. A big hug to you. One day at a time. Don't be hard on yourself, be kind.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Learn what you can from it , dust yourself off and get back on your sober bike , you were doing so well , just because you fell off there is no need to throw the sober bike away and not come on the sober journey with the rest of us ..
sobriety can be a life skill you have to learn much like riding a bike , falling off isn't fun and is best avoided , it happens even to the best of riders .. it's what you do when you fall off that counts ..
*ring ring*

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TM75 View Post
How did I handle it? I left her and went straight to buy a drink - I didn't realise how vulnerable I am and how weak I really am.
Now you have a better understanding of one of your vulnerabilities. Use that knowledge to avoid similar situations in the future.

This is now day four and I've reduced drastically today but I feel like my world has ended.
But is hasn't. Even if it feels like it, it has not. That means you get another day, another change, another do-over.

Am I destined to die an alcoholic?
No. End of story.

I hate it - I hate what it's done to me and hate who I am when I drink.
Channel that energy into additional resolve to get back on track.

I don't know if I have the strength to fight this anymore.
You do.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

An old expression in AA is that a successful 12 step call is one that you leave sober. How true. Hang on, no one said the road will always be smooth. Be good to yourself and do not pick up that first drink. BE WELL
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's just the aftermath that's so hard to deal with. How could I be so daft as to think I could go to someone's rescue when I'm so early on in recovery. That is one very hard lesson learned!! Today has been the longest day in history but I guess tomorrow can only get better.

Thank you once again for your support
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congrats on day 4 . You are incredible, going to a friends aide like you did . God Bless
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is just an update on my previous post. I just had a phone call to tell me that the friend I tried to rescue on Thursday has died. She died yesterday and I'm so shocked and devastated. Could I have done more?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How sad. And no, you couldn't have done more. All you can do now is keep yourself from the same end.

With my drastic relapse, I am sure that I was trying to numb the "pain" of my life, and had it not been for a few people who got me into the rehab, I would have died. While I was there we heard of two people who had been discharged a week ago and one had died of an overdose and another drank himself into such a state that he choked on his own vomit.

Sadly, this is increasingly the outcome for addicts.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Making your recovery a triumph is a good way to honour your friend IMHO

M
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry....my prayers are with you.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

So sorry, TM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry to hear this. Please be kind to yourself and honour your friend's memory by staying sober.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is so sad. Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TM75 View Post
This is just an update on my previous post. I just had a phone call to tell me that the friend I tried to rescue on Thursday has died. She died yesterday and I'm so shocked and devastated. Could I have done more?
What recovery program are you working, TM75?

Bob
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

TM , I am so sorry to hear this sad news. Please don't blame yourself. Its a tragedy, that's all. Prayers to those affected and to you my friend
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry about your friend. Don't give up!! Learn from this experience and keep moving forward.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss TM.

I don't think for a second you should blame yourself...this was obviously the culmination of many years of drinking and abuse. You simply got involved in the last chapter.

You did one of the basic acts of kindness - you tried to help another human being. That's a great and noble thing.

To be the best guide tho, we need to learn those forest trails ourselves well first.

There's absolutely no sense in two hikers ending up lost.

There's always plenty of other guides to call on - there's no shame in waiting until you really know those woods

D