Notices

Meetings (not AA) ???

Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings (not AA) ???

I have a question.

Is there any such thing as a recovery support group for alcoholics that is NOT AA and meets in person?

If so, how can I find them? I have looked for this online repeatedly and have not been successful.

It seems that if you want support in recovery the options are pretty limited and AA is the ONLY free support group with actual meetings. If you want personal support that is not AA your choice is paying for it. Or this which is online.

Let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

SMART recovery also has local meetings, albeit not as widespread as AA.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Don't know how far away from Denver you are, but here are two.

SMART:

SMART Recovery® - Meetings

Lifering:

Lifering Colorado Meetings | Lifering Colorado

Best to you.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THANK YOU!!!! You just made my day! I honestly didn't know about SMART. Now I will go check it out.

I am close enough to Denver.

Thank you again! :-)
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link CupofJoe. I wasn't aware of any SMART meetings in my community until now. Definitely going to check them out.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. When I started to think I was having a problem with alcohol AA was about the only answer in town. Because of my ignorance I rejected it and continued my spiral downward until, you fill in the blanks. Some things I needed to do was get honest with myself and accept the fact I could not drink in safety, which for me was “could I guarantee the results of picking up that first drink?”
Some people including myself are not religious and only heard the word God and in ignorance thought it is some sort of holy roller origination. Wrong. To me it denotes a process of transformation within. It’s aimed at my fears, honesty and many of my self defeating beliefs and thoughts I harbored. Today after many years sober I still need to spiritual cleanser for me and millions others & that’s AA. BE WELL.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Many communities I've lived in had addiction recovery meetings that were held in hospitals or community mental health centers etc. There were pamphlets about them at the community clinic or addiction recovery centers. IF there is a community health svc or center in town give them a call and ask, also suicide hotlines often have that info available and no they will NOT mind if you call and ask for information on such, they will be happy to point you in the right direction. They are all about saving lives.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm interested in why not aa but whatever. The only thing I can think of is something I've thought about in times when aa is not around and cost is a factor I'd seek out someone or more who might want to get together on some plan with the intent of discussing sobriety and I'd make sure there's a lot of literature about to use during a meeting though I suppose a cup of coffee at a nice cafe but somehow make it formal by using a note pad or something and anything in between. But that's me. I think what I really mean is take some action. Create what you want.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm interested in the OP's actual question.....
Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd be interested in knowing the same thing, but I'm in San Antonio, Texas. No Life Ring or Smart Recovery here.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I'm interested in the OP's actual question.....
In NJ I'm seeing SMART meetings available in Piscataway, Parsippany and Roxbury.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There's "Celebrate Recovery", which is a Christian 12 Step-based program: not personally my cup of tea, but I still acknowledge that it works for those who work it.

And there's also Cocaine Anonymous (or CA), which uses the Big Book of AA: they're VERY alcoholic-friendly... The difference between the two fellowships (AA and CA) is that the primary purpose of CA is shifted to encompass problems relating to all mind/mood altering substance, as opposed to strictly alcohol. In spite of that, I know a number of individuals who attend CA who not only identify themselves as alcoholics, but introduce themselves as such in the meetings.
I attend AA, but I'm a big fan of CA.

Hope this helps a bit
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to learn about something secular, if not, at least a group that has people who want to be there. The last AA meeting I went to had a lot of people there by court order, and the vibe was not very positive.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my town, and probably in yours, there are counseling centers (and other enterprises) that work with people with substance abuse problems.

In my town, the one I'm familiar with runs out-patient support groups. I participated in one for a short time but decided to quit and attend AA instead.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nimeton View Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to learn about something secular, if not, at least a group that has people who want to be there. The last AA meeting I went to had a lot of people there by court order, and the vibe was not very positive.
Try a different AA meeting then.

From my experience: the clubhouses tend to attract such groups. In the beginning, I needed to avoid open discussion meetings. Speaker meetings are okay, but the solution I found for myself was in Big Book study groups and the fellowship to be found at these meetings.

My suggestion: do NOT discount AA as a whole from one meeting. There are crappy as well as good AA meetings everywhere. Shop different meetings until you find that positive-vibe; which shouldn't take long.

If I hadn't done that, I don't know where I would be.... But I do know I'm grateful for my life today, so I thank the God of my understanding that I did.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information in this thread

Hi fellow residents of Colorado:
Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to CupofJoe for posting the information on other types of recovery meetings.
Also to the poster who talked positively about CA meetings.... my experience in the Denver metro area with CA (Cocaine Anonymous) was pretty much all positive my first time through the recovery process, beginning in 1999.
Yes, CA, IMHO, was accepting of all types of addicts/alcoholics ( cocaine, meth, alcohol, heroin,etc.) as long as we were there to abstain from all mind altering substances.
Again, just my opinion, but groups vary greatly... I had to attend different groups, in different parts of town, and different fellowships to find where I was comfortable.. the great thing was.. the more clean and sober I got, and the more I worked my program, the less I was "bothered" by the differences between myself and other meeting goers. Now, being older, and dealing with chronic pain issues without pain medication, I find SR to be a lifesaver and to work well for me at this stage of recovery ( 42 days clean and sober).

Thank you for allowing me to share.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

miyako, all,

the easiest way to find alternatives to AA is to use the word "secular" in browsing, i found.
i found LifeRing that way and luckily there was a meeting in my town, Vancouber.

and they have a fairly big selection of on-line meetings, a forum, chat, e-mail lists, and they're growing.

in fact, with six months sobriety you can start a LR meeting yourself, or with someone else. if you subscribe to their basic philosopy, which you can find at The LifeRing Home Page | Sobriety, Secularity, Self-Help
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There are 2 AA's
1 is the book ( "The Big Book" )
and
2 is the fellowships from the book.
The book is the "last card in the deck" when nothing else works.

be sure to check out the book and those fellowships ( groups/meetings ) who don't steer too far away from the book, ( Steps and Traditions ), by reading it with some one who knows how to read it.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Miyako:
I gather you live fairly close to Denver. These big cities sometimes have AA Agnostics meetings. I have found them very welcoming and helpful. Perhaps you might like to try one along with the other possible secular recovery meetings which have been suggested. To find one just call the Denver central AA office and inquire. Or look it up on the web by googling Alcoholics Anonymous Agnostics

W.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicolasAi View Post
Try a different AA meeting then.

From my experience: the clubhouses tend to attract such groups. In the beginning, I needed to avoid open discussion meetings. Speaker meetings are okay, but the solution I found for myself was in Big Book study groups and the fellowship to be found at these meetings.

My suggestion: do NOT discount AA as a whole from one meeting. There are crappy as well as good AA meetings everywhere. Shop different meetings until you find that positive-vibe; which shouldn't take long.

If I hadn't done that, I don't know where I would be.... But I do know I'm grateful for my life today, so I thank the God of my understanding that I did.
Funny you said that about the clubhouses. That's exactly what this was. And it was an open meeting, too. Something to think about.