Notices

18 Days and Counting!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 Days and Counting!

Hello folks, this is my first post to your forum so here goes. 18 days ago, I quit drinking for about the 40th time in my life. I am a functional alcoholic who used to drink (after work) about 1 pint of gin on week days and about a fifth on the weekends. I have been doing this for the last 20 years. I could not sleep more than 4-5 hours per night. That is on a good night without sleep anxiety. My hands would shake all day at work, and I would be irritable when I came home until I had my first "shot" (about 4 ounces).
This time, for some reason, quitting has been much easier. I had the withdrawals, night sweats, inability to sleep for only about 5 days this time around. This is the first time I have ever quit that I did not want to drink at all. For some reason, I am drawn to energy drinks, a strange alternative, I know. I figure staying sober will save me about $400.00 a month. I am sorry to ramble on. I am just pumped to be so motivated after quitting this long.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations and well done!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice job FishHawk, and welcome.

Your story sounds all too familiar. I'm certainly no expert, but I think we "high functioning alcoholics" have an easier time quitting drinking, but run into more difficulty maintaining sobriety. Particularly when many of us (myself included) are in corporate environments that are utterly immersed in a drinking culture. It's simply not an option to say, "I'm going to avoid that environment", much in the way others can say, "I'm not going to go into that bar".

Note to all readers: I'm not trying to put one group on any pedestal over another here. Please don't misconstrue my words for anything other than simple reflections based entirely on my own observations.

Welcome FishHawk!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and nice work - hearing you're on day 18 already is super encouraging. It's those first few days that can really be tough, I notice that newcomers who are really struggling on Day 1 or Day 3 often give in to the temptations. By Day 18 you're definitely out of those woods....of course learning how to live a sober life is a huge task too, much more challenging (in a different way) than beating those first few days.

I'm glad you're feeling good - enjoy this happy moment and put it in your back pocket! Have a wonderful day!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Everyone, I greatly appreciate the welcome!
TROAE, my entire career has included innumerable company social functions in which alcohol consumption was not only condoned but expected. I was never the guy with the lampshade on his head but with upward mobility, routine social drinking was a requirement. I am finally in a position in my life to stop my drinking and focus on longevity.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 31

Currently on Day 31 folks! I am really starting to feel good again. I have been sleeping 7-8 hours every night. For the first time in my life, since about 25 years of age, I truly believe I have finally thrown a beatin on my alcoholism. My next goal is to get rid of the 30 extra pounds excessive daily alcohol consumption has given me. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FishHawk View Post
My next goal is to get rid of the 30 extra pounds excessive daily alcohol consumption has given me. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Burn more calores than you take in and you will lose weight. Walking is a great way to burn calores and build up your level of fitness.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 30 days FishHawk

D
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! 18 days is great!!! I am on 11 days, and I didn't think would make it this far. I was a pint a day person too...except it was brandy for me, plus a glass of wine or two thrown in for good measure!

Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

:-)..well done !