Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

is a year away from alcohol enough to stop a person from having a drinking problem?

Notices

is a year away from alcohol enough to stop a person from having a drinking problem?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my 22 year old daughter is in jail for a year for a hit and run. If she admitted what she did they would have gone easier on her but she refused. She was also drunk when the accident happened and she revealed to me she has a drinking problem. Something I was never able to see before. So I wonder, in jail you obviously won't have access to alcohol. Is one year away from it enough to be able to give it up? If so, then maybe a year in jail won't be a bad thing for her
Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, 1924!

I don't consider that I will ever be cured of alcoholism. I am always "giving it up" one day at a time.

I stay sober with the help of SR and AA. AA meetings might be available at your daughter's jail.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
my 22 year old daughter is in jail for a year for a hit and run. If she admitted what she did they would have gone easier on her but she refused. She was also drunk when the accident happened and she revealed to me she has a drinking problem. Something I was never able to see before. So I wonder, in jail you obviously won't have access to alcohol. Is one year away from it enough to be able to give it up? If so, then maybe a year in jail won't be a bad thing for her

Only if she wants to be done with it. Hopefully she will go to meetings in jail. I am on a commitee in AA that brings meetings into jail. The big test will be the day she comes out. If she is an alcoholic and drinks again, she could most likely be back on the road to destruction. Hopefully she will have learned from the consequences of this incident. At least she is safe for awhile, from herself.

I been in jail too. Only thing I didn't like was the jail mentality. When I was in there most of them could not wait to get out and go back to meth or crack or alcohol. I hope she finds a good friend in there but they come and go on a regular basis.

Encourage her to go to the AA meetings if you can and to read the AA Big book while in there. She will have lots of time to think.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am 8 months dry. I firmly believe that if I drink 1 beer or any type drink with alcohol that it will all start again.... that slippery slope back to 'hell'. I guess most recovering alcholics have the same sentiment. Maybe your daughter has had time to reflect or think, maybe she has had the chance to feel the effects of being without alcohol. In any case I guess the first week or so when she gets out you will have your amswer.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

1 year sober under any conditions is very good. Does she wanna quit is a different story. You got plenty of time to work on your daugther and help her. Hope all goes well.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is dry and then there is sober.

They are two different things. There are people I have met at AA meetings who have spoke of not drinking for years but they labeled themselves a dry drunk. Meaning they did not drink alcohol but they still carried all the baggage which in turn drove them to drink again.

As deeker said many jails have AA meetings but some have no programs at all. Maybe you can supply her with some reading material to help her decide if she is an alcoholic and if so, does she want to quit.

Only she can decide if she wants to. Many people do want to but don't have the tools to do so. At this point you can supply her with the tools but only she can make the decision.

I know it is hard, I have a 22 year old daughter myself, but we cannot fix their lives for them. They have to choose to do that on their own, but knowing that you support them is a big part of that.

The fact that she would not admit fault now does not mean she will not later down the road. One of the hardest things to do in life is to admit we were wrong or made a mistake.

The fact that she admitted she has a drink problem is a big step. That is a positive thing.

Good luck and I wish you both the best!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Gracie. I too after many years without drinking have periods of just being dry, usually getting a good self exam reveals the reason. 1924 I suggest exploring Al-Anon for yourself, Tremendous help there. In AA there's a saying that a Pickle can never become a cucumber again. BE WELL
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If your dr wants to stop drinking, then a year in jail could be helpful. It concerns me that you say she didn't want to admit her part in the hit and run accident. I think that honesty is the cornerstone of recovery.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also in addition to being forced Offit for a year she will see what kinds of consequences she must face now. Sadly based on what I'm hearing all this might not help
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, one year in jail will not be a cure to alcoholism. It may be a deterrent for a year, but that is all. I've heard people in the room, who have gone to prison for several years to a decade, and when they come out, they go right back to their addiction.

I have a couple DUI's myself, and I could have easily been in your daughter's position. However, I was fortunate enough to not have any accidents or incidents happen during my stops. If you want to be optimistic about the situation, this could be a blessing in disguise. It doesn't sound like your daughter killed or injured anyone, so it could always be worse. A year in jail could help her realize how serious alcoholism can be. I do believe that there are AA/NA panel groups that visit jails and prisons. It's basically AA/NA meetings but in jail.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
Also in addition to being forced Offit for a year she will see what kinds of consequences she must face now. Sadly based on what I'm hearing all this might not help
It may help. It really could help. We are all so unique in this process. This may just be the thing that catapults your daughter into a beautiful life. Lets not give up hope. One day at a time is how we all do it.