Notices

Day 4 - Friday..the urge to drink is rising!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 - Friday..the urge to drink is rising!

Hey guys,

I'm on day four and excited about the mental clarity and speed I have been completing personal and work tasks.

On the flip side, the process that usually ends up in me binge drinking and spending all weekend in bed seems to be starting. I have this huge desire to drink tonight, my heart is pounding and my mind is racing. I got some great feedback at work that all went to my head and I also just got paid.

I can't make it to AA tonight because of my friend's 10th wedding anniversary celebration (they have been like parents to me). I have made it clear to the guy that whatever happens I must not drink tonight and I plan to ask someone else to help me tonight.

By posting I hope to get it out and get some encouragement to stay sober...

Johhny
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink and you be back to the same old BS, nothing ever changes it only gets worse..over time.

Grind it out, dont be weak and give into the cravings. You want to stop drinking ? Then dont drink.

Good things await.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck Johny; The weekend is always the hardest for me and it's usually when i relapse. Im also on my 4th day and i know how tough the first few days are. It's hard to not drink in event's like that but just use your will power. Keep in mind that definate goal that you must not take that first drink.

Wish you well
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can get through it my friend. I am new to this, sober just 3 weeks, and I love the clear mind, free of dark thoughts, sadness, tiredness... It is worth the struggle.

Good luck! Remember, you are not alone in this!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep it up, Johnny!! Your -ism is on the ropes & it's pi$$ed. Keep in touch with a sober friend & walk away from the party after you show up for your buddy for a while. You can do it!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You NEED to beat this. Do not drink this weekend. If you resist this weekend, come back to this post next weekend and use THAT as a motivating factor to keep grinding this out until you get over it!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get through the weekend and you will feel so much stronger when you do. Next weekend will be easier.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Make sure you have an escape from the party organised if the urge to drink gets too strong
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice and practical input. I realize this totally boils down to what I decide, I've come this far and intend to keep going...

I'll print this thread to read tonight and will remember I can always leave...no one is forcing me to be there...or to drink....
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Needtoheal!!! You and I are in it together brother. We got sober the exact same time.. I posted a thread about being concerned about the weekend as well.. Send me a message if you want to chat.. I may need to as well.. We can be strong together.. Make sure both of us are doing the right thing..
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Interesting word *urge*. The first part of the word *urgent*.

That little voice in your head will tell you that you urgently need a drink. As if not having one will cause something bad to happen.

The reality is just the opposite. Nothing bad can happen as a result of NOT drinking, but quite often bad things happen as a result of drinking.

Stupid voice. He doesn't know squat. Tell him to shut up and stop spreading lies and panic.

You can do this!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Needtoheal View Post
Thank you all for the advice and practical input. I realize this totally boils down to what I decide, I've come this far and intend to keep going...

I'll print this thread to read tonight and will remember I can always leave...no one is forcing me to be there...or to drink....
You can do this and come out stronger on the other side. Have faith in yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ha. my 3rd day (only) I not only want a drink (later) but have another problem. my wife is having a hard time with me not drinking. she drinks just a little after work and is frustrated I'm not wanting the stuff around. on top of that we have a weekend planned in the city, dining and such. i always seem to pick the wrong time to start my stopping. or is it coincidence?
she doenst really think i have a problem because i never get drunk. i think she likes it when i'm buzzed cause im not so deep and intense.
to be honest- i really think most of my family likes me more after i've had a drink (whether they know it or not).
-sorry, didnt mean to hijack your post---------
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Need, sounds like you have a good plan for the evening. One of the things I do in party situations is to get a soda, tea, or whatever right away while you are still strong and determined and hold onto that. People are less likely to ask if you would like something (since you obviously already do) and if THE voice pops up you can take a sip of your pop, tell your voice to go away. Also if you can leave the area, walk outside, distract yourself.
If you have a smart phone SR has an app you can down load, or I just use Safari if you need additional support. And like you said, escape, leaving early is never a crime. Plus you want to remember everything about the anniversary, you wont if you get drunk.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's funny - I never drink on the weekends, only during the work week. I've been thinking that if I can make it through today then I'll have the nice easy weekend ahead.

If I can go without drinking on weekends, and you can go without drinking during the week, surely both we're just a short hop from a very comfortable sobriety. I mean, it sure beats having a seven day a week struggle.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a weekend support thread here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...il-2013-a.html
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support guys, sadly I had a glass of champagne tonight and while I know this was wrong and compromises my sobriety, I am not going to beat myself down. If I do, I will just drink to drunkenness. I am getting back up and know better for next time...

I now know not to trust my 1% strength and attend social events that will have alcohol at the beginning of seeking sobriety, I need to trust the 99% weakness and stay away.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's really important to make changes if we want change, Need, yeah.

D
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I could never resist 'celebratory' drinks after a good and productive week. Only thing is, that 'high' always came crashing down when I woke up the next morning hating life again. You're on a roll, don't ruin it by drinking!