I am addicted to caffeine! :(

Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am addicted to caffeine! :(

I am a big diet coke with lime drinker. It is one of my bad habits.

So my dentist really got on me the other day about it so I decided I needed to quit. (Self care begins with my teeth, lol)

I can not believe how bad the caffeine withdrawals have been. I finally just had a half of a can to be able to "think" straight again and get rid of the never ending headache. Relapse? No, just a taper.

I don't care what the "drug" is, quitting is not easy.

Cigarettes are next.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a big Diet Coke drinker, too....I drink a LOT of diet soda in general, but Diet Coke is my number one choice. It'd be really hard for me to give up, too....but if you do it, maybe I'll be inspired to give it a try!!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The hygienist who cleans my teeth recommended I drink coffee with a straw to reduce staining. Yeah...sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
The hygienist who cleans my teeth recommended I drink coffee with a straw to reduce staining. Yeah...sure.

LOL, some of my family members use a straw. Heck, I would rather just use whitening strips.

My dentist said NO to a straw with my diet coke though.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The headache was the worst...It seemed to never want to go away!
But other than that I had no issue with thinking. when I tried to quit smoking I couldn't think at all!

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LMN.

I feel your pain just had my wisdom tooth extracted today (hopefully I am wiser and wouldnt date a looser again haha:rotfxko) but Coke (soda) is my addiction just thinking about it i want it soooooo bad help me God, but dentist said no so I have to suck it up and no means no maybe I sould invent coke with no sugar that taste the same as regular coke if only
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rooting for you and anyone else who is trying to ditch the Diet Coke -- the artificial sweeteners are absolutely terrible for us also. Do a bit of research if you're curious.

Onward and upward!

Step one: We admitted we were powerless over all nouns/pronouns...people places things...including Diet Coke.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pssst!
Over here.....
(close the damned door)
You got the money? Show it to me!

Ok.Did you bring your own gear? Clean needles?

WORD PICTURE: Vale,passed out.Slobber streaming out of
his mouth----he's been railing Diet Coke in a "Cokehouse"
(same ambiance as a crackhouse---but with a Coca Cola
vending machine on every wall)

In and out of the Diet Coke "nod"----he's mumbling something:

"I can quit anytime I want,anytime...I......want.....).In his mind,he'll
quit tomorrow----but when tomorrow comes----and with a pocket full
of quarters ....we ALL know it just isn't going to happen.

We know how this ends.Assault weapons,maps showing the floor
plans of the local Coca Cola distributor.Perhaps hijacking a Coca Cola
tanker on the interstate?

It all began with the clinkety-clink of 4 quarters in a vending
machine.

(Don't make the same mistake I did,kid!)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a huge coffe and soda drinker and have given up both a few times now. The worst withdrawal I had was a week of diarrhea and two weeks of a headache so bad that my teeth hurt. Lots of water and ibuprophen got me through it. I've been off caffeine for about six months but have found that if I slip up even once, I usually have a headache the next day. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I try to be caffeine aware, it's usually pretty easy...when I drink too much coffee I turn into a Tasmanian devil and it just ain't pretty.

So, Miss Smartypants (that would be me) decided to drink diet Mountain Dew...or Diet Dew as I called it. It was refreshing and tasty and healthy...I thought. But then I caught myself a tad "wound" after a couple of cans, and worse after a couple more. I learned the hard way that Diet Dew is chuck full of caffeine just like an energy drink. They ought to warn a girl!!!

So today I watch my intake, drink more herbal tea...and before you groan and throw yourself on the floor please know that you can develop a taste for herbal tea. And caffeine-free diet soda is bearable most days too.

Now about those cigarettes!!! I was born with a cigarette in my mouth, nobody loved smoking more than I did. As smoking became less "acceptable" to most, I became a closet smoker, cutting down to maybe 4 or 5 a day but every day and I wanted each one of them.

I quit 3 years ago. Mr. Ann didn't know I smoked (I was a really good closet smoker, lol) and we were going south for 3 months so I decided to quit 3 months before we went. Any time I wanted a cigarette I just told myself very quickly "NOT AN OPTION" and that worked for me. Today I wouldn't smoke if you offered me free cheesecake to go. I am so glad I quit. Like most changes in life, it only hurt for a while and then it got so very much better.

Do it girl! Ditch the caffeine and nicotine and become perfect just like me.

Smartypants Hugs
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Soda Stream!

1/2 the sugar than regular bottled sodas, you flavor it yourself.
i've never been a big soda person...but i would rather cut off my thumbs than give up my 6 cups of Starbucks and Black tiger every AM....i did cut down on the Red Bull, but i cannot MOVE without coffee....I get up at 5AM every day for work.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love my caffeine!! Sometimes I think I need a caffeine IV hooked up so I can have a constant flow! My drink of choice is an ice-cold regular (not diet) Coke or Pepsi over ice!! Yum!!! I also love my flavored creamers in my coffee!!!

But, it makes me really crash (so I have another lol). Drinking good ol' H2O is the best for me. It actually makes me feel more energized, I don't crash, and it's calorie-free!!

You can do this LMN!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

LMN, we are in the same boat!

A friend of mine was telling me 2 weeks ago how she is feeling much less irritable since she stopped drinking caffeine.

I don't drink sodas, but was addicted to coffee. On Monday I was sick in bed and decided it is time to kick the caffeine habit whilst feeling miserable anyway. After all, I am expecting my AS to kick his addictions.

The headache I had from a cold was made a 1000 times worse by the caffeine withdrawal. It was really, really bad with bad moods and everything. Thankfully, by Thursday the symptoms started disappearing, but I am determined not to drink coffee again.

I kept on thinking that if it is this bad from caffeine, imagine how bad it must be for stronger drugs. I have new-found respect for people in recovery.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am addicted to Mountain Dew I live on it bad I know my step-mom finally kicked it and as all nervous inside is how she as describing it come to find out that even the yellow dye in Dew causes withdrawal. I have cut way back I replace a bottle of water each day in place of the Mountain Dew slowly but surely best of luck.

Vale, you crack me up.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

LoL Ann and Vale. You guys crack me up.

Ok, so I have to clarify. I am continuing to have a flavored coffee (hazelnut) in the morning. I only have one and I can quit anytime. So it's not really about the caffeine.

Although, people would "nag" me constantly about how awful aspertame is, I was not really effected. In one ear and out the other. I even think it was effecting my memory, a known problem with aspertame, but I didn't care...I just wanted my fix.

But when my dentist had to fill a cavity between my teeth and shared with me this was the result of drinking soda, I perked up. He told me I was a good brusher and flosser but he could tell I drinking a lot of soda. Is 7-8 cans a day a lot? LOL. He then told me it would eventually catch up to me and cause me thousands of dollars. His words "soda and teeth don't mix." Ouch!! Soda causes decay between the teeth.

I love my dentist. We talk about anything and everything, including addiction. He told me he knows when people are drug seeking and tells them NO. He also admits to having an addictive personality but channels it in positive ways. Did I tell you I just love this guy?

So the bottom line is I am giving up my diet coke for my teeth, lol. Oh and now I am getting my teeth cleaned every 4 months because self care starts with my teeth. Haha Also, it really helps me get motivated for quitting smoking. So right now the soda goes, then the cigarettes.

Oh geez, once I quite both at the same time for two weeks and it wasn't a pretty site.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

For the diet soda drinkers -

Site Search:
Aspartame Side Effects

There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. It seems surreal, but true. How can one chemical create such chaos?

Aspartame dissolves into solution and can therefore travel throughout the body and deposit within any tissue. The body digests aspartame unlike saccharin, which does not break down within humans.

The multitude of aspartame side effects are indicative to your genetic individuality and physical weaknesses. It is important to put two and two together, nonetheless, and identify which side effects aspartame is creating within you.

Aspartame Side Effects

The components of aspartame can lead to a number of health problems, as you have read. Side effects can occur gradually, can be immediate, or can be acute reactions.

Aspartame Information:

Aspartame Side Effects
Aspartame Case Histories
Artifical Sweeteners
Phenylalanine
Phenylketonuria
Message Board Forum:
Think you are having an aspartame reaction? Join Dr. Hull's aspartame message board forum and communicate with others!

Ask Dr Hull Forum
According to Lendon Smith, M.D. there is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame, yet have no idea why drugs, supplements and herbs don’t relieve their symptoms. Then, there are users who don’t ‘appear’ to suffer immediate reactions at all. Even these individuals are susceptible to the long-term damage caused by excitatory amino acids, phenylalanine, methanol, and DKP.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

Chest
palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

Other
frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

I counsel aspartame victims worldwide and have witnessed nine out of 10 clients restore their health by following the Aspartame Detoxification Program. Begin with detoxifying your body of all residual chemical toxins from aspartame's chemical make up of phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol and their toxic by-products, and see if any adverse health symptoms remain. Try the Aspartame Detoxification Program, and within 30 days your symptoms should disappear.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Oh and I really want to share this although it is off topic.

A few years ago, I had some old silver fillings removed - replaced with the new pretty whites fillings.. Later when I changed dentists, to the one I have now, he asked me what dentist did that and just shook his head in disgust.

He told me those pretty white fillings are a joke. The composite shrinks and decay gets underneath all while the person has no idea - resulting in broken teeth, route canals, crowns, etc.

He couldn't believe they put the whiting fillings in my first molar, the most used, which did break while I was away. Yep, those darn gummy bears were not a good idea to eat. My dentist is convinced the wife of a dentist invented gummy bears, lol.

Anyway, be careful of the new and the prettier, it's not always better.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

soda = bad
diet soda = bad

coffee = necessary!!!

few years back when hank went on a very long layoff (as opposed to the shorter more sporadic layoffs) we had to do some serious budget trimming and one of the things to go was expensive coffee. yup, here in the land of Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Tully's - we drink folgers. or yuban, or whatever is on sale but still tastes like coffee. amazingly i don't drink nearly as much!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Never drank coffee,but I down a few diet root beers a day.
On the road,when my brand of DRB is unavailable (often!),
I sub diet coke.
A day after I'm 'off' the DC, I notice a slight annoyance,
I wouldn't call it a headache---more of an unease.

Time for a better sub---or just kick the whole thing.

"No more mainlining caffeine for me!"

(said no junkie...ever!!!!)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(two hours later,Vale spotted in dark alley,exchanging $ for a
case of "Jolt Cola"---twice the sugar/twice the caffeine)

................and so it goes!