Notices

Day 10 and Thank You SR

Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 and Thank You SR

I wish to thank each poster on this Board. I have been lurking and have seen such positive responses from all that I decided to join.

The past six weeks I have been suffering from a bad ulcerative colitis attack. I was put on medication in which I could not consume alcohol. Two days in to taking meds, my Dr. called with tests results. Fatty Liver that was swollen and tender, slightly high liver enzymes, high cholesterol, inflammation throughout GI tract and high red cell count.

Needless to say all of this due to my daily WINE consumption. What a Wake Up Call. I immediately knew that I would Never be able to drink any alcohol again. I am at this point fine with this, because I never want to go through the pain and stress of the horrible medication and Withdrawls.

I will be an active member of this community and look forward to getting to know all of you. I have been given a second chance and all of my medical issues are reversible if I don't drink.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Welcome !..that is a wake up call

Mine was wine too 2 plus bottles a day,you made a good decision :-)

Good luck with your recovery

Cheers
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's day 10 for me as well. We can do this!!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! When I was hospitalized in November for the very thing you describe I also decided to quit my one-and-a-half to two bottles of wine a day habit. It took awhile but 2.5 months sober now I feel 150% better. Good decision to quit and also to join us here. SR has been fundamental to my recovery---hope it will be to yours too. Look forward to more of your posts!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. At the beginning I had to concentrate on not drinking 1 day, 1 hour and 1 minute at a time. As so many do experience, it does get better then we get better. BE WELL
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

a second chance is a blessing

Originally Posted by LiveorDie View Post

I will be an active member of this community and look forward to getting to know all of you.

I have been given a second chance and all of my medical issues are reversible if I don't drink.
nice to have you here sober
and
that's great that your medical issues are reversible
a second chance is a blessing that some never get to know

I have had several friends die due to their returning to the drink

Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to each reply. I also drank 2bottlescoffee of Wine a day for 4 years. I have destroyed my body with ethanol poison! The positive of this is that it is reversible if I NEVER DRINK AGAIN.

Sometimes it takes a death sentence to "scare you straight" and this was mine. I am now eating a healthy fresh diet and taking vitamins. Feeling 100%well better!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Aren't out bodies incredible? As long as we stop abusing them they forgive us many sins. I stopped my 1 bottle of wine a day habit soon enough to avoid permanent damage, but there've been other benefits in personal growth that I didn't expect. A lot of my education about addiction and life skills have come from the people on SR.
Stick around,you can't go wrong.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveorDie View Post
I wish to thank each poster on this Board. I have been lurking and have seen such positive responses from all that I decided to join.

The past six weeks I have been suffering from a bad ulcerative colitis attack. I was put on medication in which I could not consume alcohol. Two days in to taking meds, my Dr. called with tests results. Fatty Liver that was swollen and tender, slightly high liver enzymes, high cholesterol, inflammation throughout GI tract and high red cell count..
By high red cell count ..did you have a high platelet count..?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fritz66 - The high results were on the CBC with Differential / Platelet
Hematocrit - elevated slightly
MCV - elevated slightly
MCH - elevated slightly
RDW - elevated slightly
When I say elevated slightly - I mean 1 -2 over recommended highest limit.
I am hoping to get all these problems resolved by never consuming alcohol again along with a really healthy diet. My body cannot handle the abuse of alcohol.