Family Members...

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Family Members...

After reading and lurking around, I see that there is a mix of family members on this message board...which is great! We ALL need the support! I was thinking...can we all just make a one or two sentence post on this thread that tells which family member and what substances each of us are dealing with? Maybe it would help...just a thought.

I'll go first. My 16yr old daughter is a recovering drug addict. Anything from pot and spice to pills and heroin-she's tried it all.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm a recovering crack addict, 7.75 years now, 52 years old...husband also clean - raised as the only child of a single A mom - sort of the trifecta of ADDICTION - child of addiction, addict self, and partner of addict.

I hope you find a home here and things go well for you!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son is a 22 year old drug addict....heroin is his DOC. Can't really say for sure whether he's using heroin right now or not, but know he's drinking and smoking weed at the very least.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son is my addict, 23 and DOC is heroin and also meth. He is "saying" he wants a rehab with faith based and for once is talking about being powerless. Talk is cheap, I need to see the actions. Still love him with all my heart and soul and pray and hope he is ready
TT
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am a recovering alcoholic/addict with almost 32 years now. I have also been in Alanon almost 29 years now. I come from a valium addict mother and a father who drank the same amount day in and day out until his death at 85+ years. I am also the exwife of 2 alcoholic/addicts. And in 2010 had a BIG EPISODE of denial when I reunited with my 1st love 43 years later, and it took me 10 months to see the elephant in the room and realize why we broke up originally. Oh and I must not forget that I have a son, who is an addict, however, has very little access to his DOC (Heroin) as he is in prison for the rest of his life for killing a man intentionally.

I, like Anvil above and others here in this forum, am a 'double winner'!.

I hope you find the support here that you are looking for. We have all been through the wringer and are in various stages of coming out the other side!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am the mother of 2 addited sons ones DOC is pain pills and ones, seems to be crack and both smoke pot the oldest is currently in prison I am also the wife (separated) of a man who use pain pills and pot that I know of. I also came from an alcoholic/additced household.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband (I just filed for divorce) is addicted to meth. He was clean for a few years and during that time we had a wonderful marriage. He relapsed last year and it was just downhill from there.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mom is and addict. She is currently perscribed valium. one of my sisters is a recovering alcoholic with about 4 months sober. My other sister is codependent like me and has an eating disorder. one of my brothers is a recovering alcoholic with about 2 years or so sober. My other brother (though not by blood) is a heroin addict lost on the streets of Detroit somewhere. I smoked weed for a really really long time, got clean, then relapsed in January, but have since been clean again... oh, and my "bf" is a heroin addict...

:l
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My exhusband is addicted to pot, alcohol, blame, resentment, manipulation, and self pity (we've been divorced for 30 years). My son is an addict (currently in recovery) and his DOC is meth and occasionally heroin. I used to refer to his DOC as "more" because it really didn't matter what it was...as long as there was more.

I have many friends who are recovering addicts.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My brother is addicted to crack. I just recently heard it was crack (from his "girlfriend") and not cocaine. He has been addicted to one drug or another for 20+ years. (pot in high school, then coke, now crack.) The longest he has been clean is 1 1/2 years and that was following a 3 month stint in rehab (inpatient).

I'm not an addict and neither are my parents. My son is Aspergers though so there are definately some OCD genes in our gene pool!

Is addicted to SR an addiction?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

KE, that made me laugh I know it is not funny but your right MORE is all of our addicts DOC
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atj9699 View Post

I'll go first. My 16yr old daughter is a recovering drug addict. Anything from pot and spice to pills and heroin-she's tried it all.
Hi,

Just my experience with pot to give you a little insight. I started smoking it in the late 80's, all 90's up until 2/2013. The pot today blows away what I had in earlier decades. It is an extremely high concentrate of THC when it's made in labs, hydroponic, or from northern Cali. IMO way too many professionals are not aware of how highly addictive it is for smokers. Rehabs don't take it seriously enough and consider it only psychologically addictive. For me it was Easier to quit cigs and alcohol combined than pot.

I wish your daughter well,

PF
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am in recovery from almost 30 yrs of drug & alcohol abuse. It's becoming quite clear that my husband is a functioning alcoholic. I've asked him twice not to get tipsy or drunk around me and he can't seem to follow through. I don't want to jump to divorce, but we may need marriage counseling in the near future. I've been married 5+ years and was using the whole time up until 3+ months ago. He hated my blackouts and pot smoking. I think he feels threatened by AA, my new fellowship, and the fact that I'm becoming more functional. I used to be his kid rather than a wife.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my husband has always smoked pot , apparently cocaine was always in the picture i just wasnt aware of it, and he is addicted to crack. lets not forget the alcohol. hes in early recovery.
i was brought up around alcohol, my mom drank alot after my dad died when i was 9, and she doesnt really drink now, maybe if she goes bowling on friday nights but not like i was younger and didnt know when or if she would make it home.
even though my mom doesnt really drink anymore i was always around my aunts whose husbands were alcoholic JERKS , and here I am married to an alcoholic addict.
oh and yes i have smoked pot, for a few years but havent for the past 8.
and i did do cocaine with my husband early in our relationship but i saw what it was doing to me and my life after 3 months of using and i stopped.
he never did. i just never knew. blindness. and he was really good at hiding it by not ever being home, and me thinking he was out trying to make money
good idea of you asking. lets us all know a little about each other so thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I ended up here because of my brother, he had moderate to heavy pot use since he was 14, was probably using heroin around 18-19 but left town and quit for awhile, alcohol binge issues in his 20's, on to pain pills around 30 and finally to heroin as his current DOC at 33. He was actually a fairly independent creative and productive person until he hit the pain meds. He is in and out of jail at the moment.

After digging through my family history I now realize just how deep addiction runs.

My father was a meth addict in the late 60's I have recently learned, off and on alcohol issues in the 80's and 90's, and while he white knuckle abstained from all substances for the last 10 years he has never been recovered in my opinion and his tendencies scream addict.

My half brother committed suicide 6 years ago, found out he had major alcohol problems and possibly something else (my step dad and other brother won't talk about it)

My mother and step dad are functioning alcoholics and from the moment they get home from work every day there is wine in their hands and thats how its been for ~30yrs.

I now see all my own addict tendencies and while I have managed to stay off substances, I still carry many of the attributes so I am working with a therapist. I guess if there is one thing I can thank my heroin addicted brother for is introducing me to a great addiction counselor

The other thing I can thank him for, helping to explain why my parents were always such self centered people, why I never felt important in their lives. Even though it sucks to know the reason, there is a peace to at least knowing that it isn't you, lol.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My husband became addicted to percocets after being prescribed them over an extended period of time. He eventually sought out other means of obtaining them. His addiction progressed rapidly.

Me? I am codependent, most likely from childhood, when my parents divorced and I decided I needed to take sides and "protect" my mother. Although, my mother discouraged my attitude and behavior, I still felt the need to help "balance the power" because my father appeared to be far more "powerful" financially, professionally and mentally. I underestimated my mother's strength.

My husband's addiction magnified my codependency issues and they progressed rapidly without me even knowing I was codependent. Thankfully, I found SR and a good therapist to help me see what I could not.

Both my husband and I started working our own recoveries almost a year ago. It has not been a straight and easy process for either of us. But just for today, I am happy, i have found peace and have stopped being afraid of the unknown or the future. I am finally learning to live in today.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My husband's addiction caused my life to become unmanageable. His DOCs are Oxycontin and marijuana. However, he has abused alcohol and other drugs as well.

I am working on my codependent issues. My father was probably an alcoholic. He was always drinking (and driving with us). However, I haven't spoken to him in around 7 years. At that point, he had given up alcohol. My mother partied a lot while I was growing up. I'm the oldest of three girls, so I am the type of codependent that is super-responsible. My father's side of my family is filled with alcoholics.

I have three wonderful sons who are my joy!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have two uncles on my Dad's side who are alcoholics and two uncles on my Mom's side who are drug addicts. My parents both abuse food (stress eaters) and my two older brothers, after dabbling in the whole drug spectrum, finally settled on their DOC, weed, which they both smoke several times a day. I abuse food (stress eater who in the last two years has also started occasionally purging) and I am a codependent, leading me to become addicted to the men I end up in toxic relationships with. My last two relationships were with drug addicts/alcoholics. The first guy smoked weed several times a day and drank, the most recent guy is addicted to cocaine, weed and alcohol. The best part about all of this? Even though the demise of the last relationship did a number on me which I'm still trying to recover from, it finally (THANKFULLY!!) at age 37, led me to get help for MYSELF, through private counseling and here with you great people on SR!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am the 47 year old mother of a 22 year old meth addicted son. He began smoking pot in high school and has continued downhill from there. Countless phone calls from jail. Calls that he was going to harm himself. Calls regarding everything under the sun and none of it was ever self created or his fault. I finally when "very little contract" with him 6 months ago, found this site and walked into my first al-anon meeting. I've been getting way better at taking care of me and have told him to get in touch when he is ready to seek recovery for himself. I thank all of you here for your openness and honesty and am so grateful I found this site. Oh and do I have any harmful addictions other than co dependency? My husband may say a penchant for nice ski gear.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm here because my 22 year old son is an alcoholic (recovering presently). But I've got all kinds of addiction in my and my DH's family trees. My mother really likes her pain pills, my sister is probably an alcoholic. DH has an alcoholic sister and several addict nephews. Several other relatives appear to have "issues" with substances. ;-)