Notices

Week 2 and feel drained, anyone else experience this?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 2 and feel drained, anyone else experience this?

Hi all I quit the booze 12 days ago, just had enough of wasting my life drinking 6 pints every night and feeling like ****, after countless pathetic attempts at tapering I just went cold turkey.
I have no health issues I know of & my job keeps me fit as I'm a roofer and have been taking milk thistle for 4 weeks, upped my water intake & tried to cut out any fatty food.
Felt great for the first week full of energy and ambition, life felt in high definition! I'm not having any cravings etc but just feel like a slug all drained & achey, can anyone else relate to this?
Im not depressed or anything just finding it harder to get motivated.
Another member warned me of something called pink cloud?
cheers guys
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow congrats! You and I quit at about the same time. I officially quit on the 5th.
I have the same exact thing you're going through right now. I am absolutely drained! I used to work out everyday for about 1 hour and be fine. Now I barely last 20 minutes due to the withdrawl. I'm sure this is related to what you're going through as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you have health concerns, the best thing do to would be see a doctor - i'm assuming since you went CT on your own you did not?

The symptoms you describe can be from withdrawal for certain, but they can be from other things too. The only way to know for sure is have it checked out by a physician.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HellJuice View Post
Wow congrats! You and I quit at about the same time. I officially quit on the 5th.
I have the same exact thing you're going through right now. I am absolutely drained! I used to work out everyday for about 1 hour and be fine. Now I barely last 20 minutes due to the withdrawl. I'm sure this is related to what you're going through as well.
cheers mate & congrats on your achievement too!
Glad its not just me, Im still getting a day in just finding it harder to get in motion lol.
Well will just keep plodding on.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
If you have health concerns, the best thing do to would be see a doctor - i'm assuming since you went CT on your own you did not?

The symptoms you describe can be from withdrawal for certain, but they can be from other things too. The only way to know for sure is have it checked out by a physician.
Yes cold turkey on my own.
I would go the doctor's but would rather not have any thing about alcohol abuse on my record.
If things dont improve I will go, thanks for the concern.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by deanlad1980 View Post
Yes cold turkey on my own.
I would go the doctor's but would rather not have any thing about alcohol abuse on my record.
If things dont improve I will go, thanks for the concern.
Your medical record is private information, and unless you are admitted to an alcohol rehab facility there won't be anything on your medical record anyway. Only your doctor and you would know, and it's certainly worth the peace of mind. A simple checkup and blood test can tell a lot, your body has been abused for a long time and it takes time to get things back on track.

Best of luck, and congrats on your sobriety. You have made a great choice.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A Dr visit wouldn't hurt.

When you said you've cut out fatty foods, did you also cut out carbs? That would have this effect as well.

Could be withdrawl, could be your body healing, could be your body was used to burning the carbs and sugers and whatnots of your drink of choice. Or maybe you're just catching a cold...
If it doesn't improve, go see a doctor, they'll most likely be able to pinpoint what it is, whether its related or not.

I waivered between lethargic and energetic in my first couple weeks...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To be honest it feels just like a cold, maybe my immune system is a bit messed up.
This year I made the dissicion to sort my life out, have had a lot of other crap to sort aswell as the drink.
I have a dvla medical in approx 5 weeks and they can contact my gp to see if I have had a drink problem in the past and the last thing I need is it to be on record about getting off the booze.
I know my health is more important than my license but will see how it goes for a few days more.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

do you have a les paul scott?
I can only afford an epiphone copy lol
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by deanlad1980 View Post
do you have a les paul scott?
I can only afford an epiphone copy lol
I have an LP studio DLX - almost the same thing as an LP standard, but just without the fancy binding and flame top. It was quite a bit more than an EPI, but also quite a bit less than a full on LP Standard. I plan to upgrade to a full on LP Standard someday with all the money i'm saving from not buying a 12 pack of beer every other day! Epi's are dang nice guitars for the money though too.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it's very normal to feel drained. After all when we put down the booze we are entering into a new way of living that demands certain things from us. Our traditional 'off time' was alcohol, where we would become physically inactive and mentally slow. Now, sober, you're living in the real world, and that can be very tiring at times. Mentally stressful and emotionally hard. We need to find alternative ways of relaxing. Summers coming, so getting out for a nice walk, or a trip to a beauty spot would be a good way of unwinding. All the best.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just had to toss in.... I have a Les Paul Standard, its a sweet guitar, but honestly, I used to have an epiphone that sounded just as good. Unfortunately Epiphones are pretty hit or miss, but every so often you can find one that plays like a $2,500 guitar. I wish i'd have kept it, but when my gear got upgraded, I was "too cool" to have it... damn it sounded good though.... argh
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just took the dogs for a slow jog, feeling a bit better now, dinner and an early night.
Think I may save the cash I p*ssed up the wall & treat myself to a genuine sg.
Think theyre a bit cheaper on your side of the pond?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I ran hot and cold with my energy level for a while after quitting. Your body needs time to adjust back to using food for it's energy source. It takes a little time.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Your medical record is private information, and unless you are admitted to an alcohol rehab facility there won't be anything on your medical record anyway. Only your doctor and you would know, and it's certainly worth the peace of mind.
Your doctor will note your alcohol use in his clinical records, which are producible in a variety of routine contexts such as an insurance claim, or lawsuit.

Why not just seek medical treatment/tests without mentioning alcohol abuse?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why not just seek medical treatment/tests without mentioning alcohol abuse?
Because if you're not honest about your situation it could lead to a wrong diagnosis - and that could be deadly.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

cheers guys but its deffo just a cold, the missus has it now.
Im cool with a cold & just happy to be another day on the wagon.